Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Youtube videos: Chopin Etudes Op. 25/1 and 25/12  (Read 8242 times)

Offline eric_wong1387

• PS Silver Member
Youtube videos: Chopin Etudes Op. 25/1 and 25/12
on: September 16, 2008, 05:23:55 PM
I had worked on these pieces over the summer and I've decided to give it a shot at recording them on video just this weekend.

I'm open to any constructive feedback on how I can continue to improve.

Etude Op. 25 No. 1:

Etude Op. 25 No. 12 (Ocean):

I do have MP3 versions from an earlier session available if the audio quality in the videos isn't satisfactory.  Hope you'll like them!

Offline soderlund

• PS Silver Member
Re: Youtube videos: Chopin Etudes Op. 25/1 and 25/12
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 06:17:50 PM
I listened to your op. 25 no. 1, and I thought it sounded very nice. In my opinion you use your wrists very well, and you are not overdoing the rubatos as some pianists tend to do in this piece. I still got the impression that perhaps it needs more work, but you really have a nice sound as it is. I am sure someone else will be able to give you more constructive critique. I haven't played this piece myself so there's little else I can say, but good job so far :)

Also, you had a very nice Beethoven picture on the wall, hehe  ;D

Offline eric_wong1387

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 09:35:21 PM
Thank you for your feedback soderlund.

Yes I agree about further work.  For one I do feel that I can still improve on my dynamics in 25/1, although I think the somewhat shoddy audio quality did drown a bit of it out.  I've been working at it still.

A bit surprised at the lack of feedback so far though.

Offline mrba1979

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 03:20:54 PM
First of all nice job.

The only thing I have to comment on is in op25-1 you could bring out the individual meoldy slightly more and tone down the acomp.. slightly less, but not by much.  I think that would sound like your connecting with piece better.  I personal hear all this wonderful well connected movement, but the melody seems/feels a bit disconected from the rest of the piece I guess is another way to put what I am trying to say.

As for op25-12 it is just plain good, and I have not played it myself well either piece for that matter, but I do not know how to help any more.

I am no longer fighting my inner demons.  We are now all on the same side.

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 03:37:42 PM
Hi there,

First your 25/1. To my opinion you're playing this one too fast, and not fluently enough. Now it sounds pretty static and the non melody part forced, you should take your time for those notes, dont get hasty to hit the melody line. Also everything seems to be Forte now, so you should get the melody line clearer, and and think where the melody line is going to make this piece musically more interesting. Your technique looks good enough to make a real nice piece of this one ;)

Now 25/12. As you know, you're hitting quite some wrong notes here, abit too many. So practise this piece slower and without pedal a couple of times and make notes where you get sloppy in accuracy so you can practise these parts more.
Musically i'm missing alot in this piece, you really have to work on that to get it really good, and i know you have the potential to play this piece really good.
Everytime you go up, make small crescendo's and when you go down, small dimms. Everything sounds FF at the moment, and like in 25/1 you have to think where the melody line is going. Playing it all FF makes it very uninteresting and noisy.

Good luck,

gyzzzmo
1+1=11
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert