Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Romantic Study  (Read 3828 times)

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Romantic Study
on: July 05, 2005, 10:27:52 AM
Most days I improvise a study or two to explore and develop some specific physical or musical technique - in this case the application of cell transition to a brief, conventional phrase to practise leggiero playing and chromatic sliding. In a sense the term "study" is a bit superfluous because a session of improvisation is pointless to me unless I learn something new.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline 00range

• PS Silver Member
Re: Romantic Study
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 05:56:50 AM
In a word, marvelous. I'm floored by your ability to create such texture on the spot. If your aim was to create a leggiero sound, I think you've nailed it on the head. The closest thing that comes to mind is a pair of wind chimes being blown by a breeze.
'Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can *** off.'

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Romantic Study
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 10:58:50 AM
Thanks, I'm pleased you enjoy it. I like cultivating a very large variety of techniques, both physical and mental, correct and incorrect. I have therefore probably ended up playing in hundreds of ways and mastering none but by and large I enjoy myself.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert