Piano Forum

Topic: work in progress- schumann kinderscenen op. 15 no. 1  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
A work in progress recording.. knock yourself out critiquing it. ;)
[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Re: work in progress- schumann kinderscenen op. 15 no. 1
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 03:40:32 AM
It's too slow. Good attention to phrasing. That's all I can say at this point.

Offline Teddybear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 08:38:28 PM
I don't think it's too slow, but it sounds rather mechanical and doesn't flow naturally. Pay more attention to the phrases.

T
Teddybear

(>"<)
('(ö,   )")
  '(¥   )/
   ¿.¿.J

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 09:45:06 PM
Its not too slow, you play it really well! I have always loved this piece and I think most people play it too fast.  Maybe just a bit more dynamic range, thats the only comment I'd make.

Offline paris

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 10:11:46 PM
hey moz

i've listened it finally  ;)

only thing what i didn't like is that you play in a way like every note is separate. don't cut the notes, try to think about them as a sentence.

if i were you, i'd play just a little bit faster. not because of tempo as itself, but to get more fluency. maybe then it'll be easier with that what i said above.

but it's just me...if you feel better at slower tempo, don't change it. just think about what i said.

Critics! If one would be a critic, one should begin with self-criticism !
    -Franz Liszt

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 05:36:27 PM
lol wow, lots of very different opinions.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to listen and reply.
I'll keep working on it. ;) It does need to be a bit faster and the accompaniment is somewhat borked...
Will re record in a few weeks and post it.  :P
[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline Nana_Ama

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 09:35:03 PM
Try to make the melody sing a little more... and don't have an accent on the first beat of each meausre. 

Vary the dynamics!  I thought the tempo wasn't bad but it could be a little bit faster. Actually, I like the tempo.   
I scare people; people scare me; it's a mutual thing!!!

Offline jeremyjchilds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 01:02:17 AM
I thought the melody was projected well
"He who answers without listening...that is his folly and his shame"    (A very wise person)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 09:11:50 PM
Notes on kinderscenen

Maybe more horizontal line, more shape, cresc, decresc

More bass notes, but that might be the recording

I remember reading about it being a little notey.  I can see that.

A little like a music box, mechanical that way.

Nice voicing, melody is nice and clear.  I like that.

hmmm.... something with the lower parts though, the accompaniment

Piano's out of tune?

Very nice.  Just add a little more shape to the lines and then there's something about the lower accompaniment... needs more presence there, maybe louder?  with shape, and connected like the melody?

I remember someone said something about tempo.  I don't know what's authentic, but this sounds ok to me, slower than I've heard I think, but still ok.  I'm not a Schumann expert and don't have the score in front of me though.  Slower tempo makes it more challenging to shape though I would think.  The line needs more direction, more drive to goal notes.  It's a little too stable/stays in one spot.  Maybe a little more shape in terms of rubato and accel to would help, along with the dynamics.

Nice tone too.

Very nice job.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 05:14:33 PM
and don't have an accent on the first beat of each meausre. 

You mean of each phrase in the beginning section?
Artistic preference.
Kapell did it in his recording; I happen to like it as well, heh.

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 05:44:03 PM
Piano's out of tune?

Very. :-\

Very nice.  Just add a little more shape to the lines and then there's something about the lower accompaniment... needs more presence there, maybe louder?  with shape, and connected like the melody?

I remember someone said something about tempo.  I don't know what's authentic, but this sounds ok to me, slower than I've heard I think, but still ok.  I'm not a Schumann expert and don't have the score in front of me though.  Slower tempo makes it more challenging to shape though I would think.  The line needs more direction, more drive to goal notes.  It's a little too stable/stays in one spot.  Maybe a little more shape in terms of rubato and accel to would help, along with the dynamics.

Nice tone too.

Very nice job.

Thanks much. :)
Yeah I'm working out the accompaniment, it's weird because you have basically 3 note blocks.. like chord with LH 5-2, then note LH thumb, note RH thumb (pattern repeats). Kinda difficult to control.
This recording is slower than the ones I've heard, I think my playing of it needs to be a bit faster but I like it a little slower than usual... the set is kinda nostalgic, I think the first movement needs to set that tone of nostalgia for the entire set... I dunno still deciding how I want to play it I guess, heh.

At any rate it sounds much better now, I'll get around to recording it hopefully sometime this week.

Offline lagin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 01:08:18 AM
Just a wee thought on your rubato.  My teacher always says the best rubato is the type that doesn't draw attention to itself.  I'm not saying use it less frequently, but maybe more subtly.  I'm not familiar with the piece, myself, so just a thought.
Christians aren't perfect; just forgiven.

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 01:19:44 PM
I just had a listen--I think you're well on your way, just need some refining.  I would like to hear more shaping of phrases and a tiny bit faster tempo.  I don't think you're using too much rubato at all!  I would do more, with a little sort of "breath" at the ends of the phrases.

I think these Schumann pieces are quite difficult, as they require a lot of complex technique (not note-wise, but interpretively) to get the "simplicity" to come across (not unlike Mozart). 

Best of luck!
Teresa

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: July 24, 2005, 02:32:58 PM
  As I ruefully told someone when recently playing through this work, "I'm afraid I played it better when I was eight". :-\

koji
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline shasta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 12:09:14 PM
  As I ruefully told someone when recently playing through this work, "I'm afraid I played it better when I was eight". :-\

koji

^^Uncool, and your posts are usually very good...  Perhaps you can offer him/her some suggestions instead of bragging about yourself.
"self is self"   - i_m_robot

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 02:35:34 PM
-
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: July 25, 2005, 02:36:50 PM

1.  I know the pianist in question of this recording (I helped to set him/her up with her current teacher)
2.  I was referring to me playing this piece personally lately (and the fact that I played it better when I was an innocent kid, instead of a complex adult now).
3.  It was a line from Five Easy Pieces (Jack Nicholson movie)

koji

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: July 25, 2005, 03:22:40 PM
I think these Schumann pieces are quite difficult, as they require a lot of complex technique (not note-wise, but interpretively) to get the "simplicity" to come across (not unlike Mozart). 

I find playing Schumann is frighteningly similar to playing Bach, with the different lines to bring out and all. Schumann is more awkward though, heh.

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 05:23:38 PM

koji

Ahm, am sorry, if anyone is going to be mad it should be you, sort of below average playing dont you think Mozartian . ;)
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 05:50:22 PM
it sounds rather mechanical and doesn't flow naturally. Pay more attention to the phrases.

T

;)

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 07:13:03 PM
your performance has a lot of stability and you have a good platform to build on. first of all, i like the tempo you chose. however, it is probably more difficult at this tempo because it is harder to keep the piece moving and harder to keep it interesting. i think you need more variation in dynamics. really sing the melody. try singing it to yourself and then attempt to recreate that singing sensation. a little variety wouldnt hurt also so (i guess thats more to do with dynamic variation). really work on the phrasing and dont think of each note not in the melody, think in groups and shapes. overall, great work and i can see that coming along very nicely. hope this helps, sorry for the mumbling.

Gruff

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 08:20:11 PM
Goodness, never expected to see this raised from the dead again! 142 listens! Wow....

zheer- nah, I think it's a fairly respectable recording. Has its flaws definitely, but I was open to the criticism I received and was able to recognize and correct my errors. So posting this was quite a good idea, because I learned from it. :)

gruffalo- thanks! You're absolutely right about the tempo; I loove it slow but its difficult to keep it flowy and wondering sounding at that speed. I ended up quickening it slightly, and as I worked on that piece I learned to put more weight behind my 4th and 5th fingers, which definitely helped me bring the melody out more. I also used more dynamic changes.

A year or whatever later I still have it in my fingers, and I really like how I play it- I should try to get another rec made.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments!

-moz

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 08:24:21 PM
  Ahm, am sorry, if anyone is going to be mad it should be you, sort of below average playing dont you think Mozartian . ;)

btw, i just realised. that was a bit of a low comeback. you seem to get really badly affected by criticism.

gruff

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 08:43:47 PM
btw, i just realised. that was a bit of a low comeback. you seem to get really badly affected by criticism.

gruff

comments like that was awful, coming from someone that plays the piano like a robot can be , was intrested to know what mozartian played like, it did'nt take my breath away. Btw its not a commeback, what do you think this is a f**king blood sport you idiot.

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 09:04:28 PM
comments like that was awful, coming from someone that plays the piano like a robot can be , was intrested to know what mozartian played like, it did'nt take my breath away. Btw its not a commeback, what do you think this is a f**king blood sport you idiot.

although my argument was centred around your searching for Mozartian's recording to get something back from her comment on your piece, i do feel that you dont really like to take on board other people's opinions. no, i dont believe this is a bloody sport, which is why i guess i should have written something more like "that was poor of you to seek revenge for what Mozartian wrote in your recording". i actually thought this was a recent recording and i just posted in it as if it were made a week or two ago. i didnt realise you went to the extent of digging up someone else's recording to satisfy yourself. maybe i have seen it wrong, but thats what it sure looks like. i'm also a very fair person and i have always thought twice about reading your stuff when people have judged you in a wrong way, and i have stuck up for you. so dont feel like i am against you or anything.

Gruff
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert