Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Bach Inventio no. 4  (Read 7199 times)

Offline lucasdopandeiro

• PS Silver Member
Bach Inventio no. 4
on: July 12, 2005, 08:58:21 PM
Hi everybody!

Here is me playing Bach's two-part invention number 4, the one in D minor. I'm expecting comments, please, don't be shy!

Sorry for the quality of the recording, it was done in my bedroom with a poor mic. I'll study some ways to improve the sound.

Thanks in advance,
Lucas Reis

Offline mikeyg

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach Inventio no. 4
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 09:08:10 PM
Not bad, but it needs to be faster.  play with da FURY!!!
I want an Integra.  1994-2001.   GSR.  If you see one, let me know.

www.johncareycompositions.com/forum

Offline Nana_Ama

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 09:29:37 PM
not bad, like Mikeyg said just make it a little faster though this is not a bad tempo first learning the piece.  Don't force the speed, it willl come. 

...and work on your left hand trill a little bit. 

Try to add more of a pulse to the music... but that's all I can think of right now. 
-Nana_Ama
I scare people; people scare me; it's a mutual thing!!!

Offline lucasdopandeiro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 02:00:45 AM
not bad, like Mikeyg said just make it a little faster though this is not a bad tempo first learning the piece. Don't force the speed, it willl come.

Not bad, but it needs to be faster. play with da FURY!!!

Thanks for the tip! What metronome mark should I try to play?

...and work on your left hand trill a little bit.

I will. It's funny that when i heard the recording i thought "man, terrible trill" - including the one in the right hand. Now I realize how nice it is to record yourself playing.

Try to add more of a pulse to the music... but that's all I can think of right now.
-Nana_Ama

What do you mean by more pulse? More strict rhythym?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english!
Lucas Reis

Offline chozart

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 08:30:06 PM
It's not that you necessarily need to play "faster"..
The piece needs to be played with "wholeness," so it sounds like a complete work not like random measures.
It's more that you need more movement and flow because it sounds just as if you're playing notes and nothing more. In fact, it sort of sounds like you are playing it all in baroque staccato, heh.
Connecting more and larger phrases would help a lot.
Your trills could be smoother, more relaxed as well.

This is a very "singing" invention also, so you need greater depth too.
You could also play this stronger, along with which depth comes. When you introduce another voice, make sure it sounds like it's going somewhere.
Bach shouldn't be a bore, it should be, imo, a pensive meditation, and I'm not feelin' this from ya, lol.

Anyway, keep working at it.
Music, even in situations of the greatest horror, should never be painful to the ear but should flatter and charm it, and thereby always remain music."
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Offline Barbosa-piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 10:52:28 PM
Sounds very good. ;) The speed in my interpretation of it, could be faster, although many pianists play at that speed... It is a good practice speed, as said above. One advice: pretend that you are playing Bach's Keyboard Concerto in D with "Molto fuoco"...

> One question that has nothing to do with the topic: Do you speak Portuguese? I was just wondering.
Parece que somos os unicos Brasileiros no site!
Bem, divirta-se praticando Bach!
Feel free to follow my music blog! themusicalcause.blogspot.com[/url]

Offline lucasdopandeiro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 08:40:06 PM
Thanks eveybody for the suggestions!

chozart, my intent was not to play so staccatto. I really thought i was playing legato! :-[ And, of course, phrasing the melody (like Tureck teaches in her books).

Barbosa, eu falo Português sim! Que surpresa! Pode deixar que eu tô me divertindo! (e dá uma olhada nas suas mensagens...)

Thanks all!
Lucas Reis

Offline gouldfischer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 09:44:38 PM
Hi, lucasdopandeiro.

I just heard your recording. Besides the comments other people made, I would add something about your trills. When you trill, the trilling hand is always playing two notes for each note played by the hand which is not trilling. My tip is: forget about this mathematical correspondence. It will sound waaaaay better with you play, say, 3 notes (or even 2 and a half, 3 and a half notes) with the trilling hand for each note of the other hand. It really doesn't matter the number of notes, provided there is no clear tempo subdivision between the hands. The idea is that you don't have to calculate any ratio. Just play the hands independently. Carry on the melody with one of the hands and start trilling with the other one as if its tempo had absolutely nothing to do with the music. Give it a try.

Mais um brasileiro :-) Sou do Rio, e vocês, Lucasdopandeiro and Barbosa?

Cheers,
    Vinicius.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert