Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Evocacion, by Albeniz  (Read 16910 times)

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Evocacion, by Albeniz
on: August 15, 2005, 05:11:49 AM
Opinions are welcome. Please forgive the ocassional wrong note!

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Re: Evocacion, by Albeniz
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 08:28:25 PM
I like this recording... I seem to like all the recordings that you make. I love the musical feeling and atmospheric quality in all your music. It would interest me to hear your recording of a faster piece, as all the music that you have posted is rather slow and lyrical (not that this is bad, but I would like to hear a different aspect of your playing).
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 09:20:56 AM
I like this recording... I seem to like all the recordings that you make. I love the musical feeling and atmospheric quality in all your music. It would interest me to hear your recording of a faster piece, as all the music that you have posted is rather slow and lyrical (not that this is bad, but I would like to hear a different aspect of your playing).

Thanks! I would love to record faster music, but I find myself limited technically due to an injury in my right hand :(, which prevents effective stretching between my pinky and my fourth finger. That makes running passages and arpeggios particularly difficult. And as a general rule, I wouldn't put anything to record unless I think it is "performable". Perhaps the closest thing I have to "fast" right now are the Scriabin Etude in E major, Op 8 no. 5, and the Rachmaninoff G minor Prelude, Op 23 no.5. But still in a rather sloppy state at the moment...

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 09:28:05 AM
Very beautiful, excellent phrasing and rythmic groove, a very subtle thing in this piece, and beautiful tone! The clinkers are of no consequence. :)

What kind of piano is this, a European instrument I think? Inquiring mind wants to know :D

So sorry about your injury, I hope you are nursing it back to health....
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 09:45:29 AM
Thanks for the encouraging comments. I agree the rhythm is indeed very subtle in this piece, even more so when a slower tempo is taken, as i have done. I recorded the same piece 10 days later on the same piano, different mike set-up, and a slightly different interpretation, with a slightly faster tempo at the start. I'll post it later when I get back.

As for the piano, its a 7 foot Ibach grand, a German instrument. The bright, slightly metallic tone is beautiful, although it had to be muted somewhat with the use of the una-corda to get the sound you hear on this recording. I like to experiment around with pedal effects. I think of it as compensating for my lack of mechanical ability!

My injury has been there since I was 14 (I am 29 now). Am thinking of going for a hand surgery to get the problem rectified, but it does involve risks. In the meanwhile, I try my best at music which is less physically demanding, but focus a great deal on phrasing, tone and musical ideas.

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 10:02:34 AM
I don't hear that you're lacking in mechanical ability; this is not a simple or easy piece, and your fingers control it quite well; no, your brain! Fingers are controlled by the brain; I have no idea what kind of injury this is, except that it involves the 4th and 5th fingers. Art Tatum played all of his blistering jazz runs with fingrs 1, 2 and 3. Maybe there's a way around this, most piano teachers might not be of any help most are couch (or piano bench )potatoes, oblivious to how the body actually works, and stuck in their mindless dogmas, "keep your fingers curved)(not for everybody), sit straight (why? it's not good for everybody). I'm sure there's a way out. Someone with your musical gift should try and find a way around this infirmity.
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 03:13:24 PM
I guess some kinds of music are just easier for me and this happens to be one of them. Admittedly it was not easy, and needed work. But certainly wasn't impossible for me. Because of my longer fingers and my particular touch/tone, lyrical music tends to work better for me. Also where speed is concerned, octaves and chords would be easier than runs.

Here's the other version of Evocacion I was talking about. Do give my other recordings a listen and give your comments if any.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert