Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Improv - August 12, 2005 #2 "Examinations of Pain"  (Read 3757 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Improv - August 12, 2005 #2 "Examinations of Pain"
on: August 19, 2005, 09:10:07 PM
In this improv I wanted to somehow capture "pain" or the many variaties of it.  I tried to use several motifs which suggest different kinds and types of pain.  It includes some playing inside the piano, as well as some sostenuto pedal to aid sympathetic vibration of strings.  You may also call this "scene in the bathroom... after the 12 lb burger in 3 hrs contest"   :D

Fortunately I wasn't in pain when I recorded this.   ;)

Improv August 12, 2005 #2
Mic: (2x) Studio Projects B1
Interface: Roland UA-25
Piano: Yamaha C3
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline joachimf

• PS Silver Member
Re: Improv - August 12, 2005 #2 "Examinations of Pain"
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 09:26:09 PM
Hehehe, cool! Very modern! :D

I also wonder by the way, how did you place the mic's? Do you have any spesific place you usually place them? I happen to have one SP B1 myself, and am thinking about getting another one =) But I have no clue how to position it over my grand...

But very cool indeed! :P Well done!

Joachim
"Don't give me excuses, give me results!"

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Improv - August 12, 2005 #2 "Examinations of Pain"
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 07:54:00 PM
Thanks. 

I've only had the mics for about a month now and still have to experiment with them in various other configurations. 

The current configuration I have found to produce good sound is as in the following diagram (please excuse it's crudeness).  Imagine an arc that surrounds the perimiter of the piano (the red line).  If you place your mics somewhere on the arc there is a good possibility of getting good balance and sound.  Mics nearer the keys get a brighter sound and also pick up more percussive sounds from the hammers.  Mics nearer the tail lean to a warmer sound. 

The mics were placed high enough on the stands so that they can see as much of the strings as possible.  So in other words they're hearing most of the sound coming frome directly facing the strings.  There is also another posibility of positioning the mics to catch the reflection from the lid (what you would normally hear sitting in a concert hall). 

Mics placed inside the piano may get you very crisp sound, but may have uneven peaks because sound has not travelled enough distance to blend and balance with the sound of the overall piano.  The further away the mics, the better the blend of the piano, and the more room sound you capture.  However far mics may loose some of the nuance and clarity. 

I'd definately recommend you to get another B1, you'll thank yourself.  It takes a bit of experimentation to find your piano's sweet spot for mics, but it is well worth the effort. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert