Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven Sonata in d minor "Tempest" Mvt. 3  (Read 7387 times)

Offline calihafan

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven Sonata in d minor "Tempest" Mvt. 3
on: August 25, 2005, 04:13:30 PM
I went a summer piano institute this summer for a week of intensive practice and music. And this was the result! Recording from the final concert. I have no intention of playing it anymore, but I wanted to see what you guys thought and wanted to try out this forum.

Calih

Offline pianohopper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven Sonata in d minor "Tempest" Mvt. 3
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 04:53:03 PM
Just tried to play your file.  WMP said you have a codec that doesn't fit with the rest of the file, and can't play it.  (Maybe that's why nobody has replied.)
"Today's dog in the alley is tomorrow's moo goo gai pan."  ~ Chinese proverb

Offline violinist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 08:54:20 PM
Just tried to play your file.  WMP said you have a codec that doesn't fit with the rest of the file, and can't play it.  (Maybe that's why nobody has replied.)

I'm with Pianohopper.  I can't get the it to play.  I don't get an error message, it just won't play in my musicmatch player.  I hope you can get it to work or if anyone has suggestions to get it to work.  I would really like to hear it!
Practice!

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 10:11:10 PM
I'm with Pianohopper. I can't get the it to play. I don't get an error message, it just won't play in my musicmatch player. I hope you can get it to work or if anyone has suggestions to get it to work. I would really like to hear it!

Same situation here.
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline totallyclassics

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 04:39:50 AM
same here!  I love that piece too, I was REALLY looking forward to hearing it! I use i tunes, and i tunes will pop up, but won't play. ???

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 06:52:58 AM
A fine piece! Alas, the file hath embraced my computer, yet no music doth my speakers sound.
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline crimper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 06:56:40 AM
Apparently, this file is encoded in a newer MPEG format(MPEG-4 instead of the usual MPEG -3)

iTunes should be able to play this format...

Offline lava

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 04:39:59 PM
Hi,

At first my WM-player reported an error, but after ignoring it started to play.

Well, I must say I really enjoyed your performance. There were some mistakes but they didn't bother at all. At least you just go on without nerves taking over.

I liked very much the slower speed. Most pianist try set a new world record. But now it is much clearer to hear what's happening. Good job!

Your left hand is very accurate and equal every bar. That gives a nice rythmic effect.

If you have any more recordings, please post them.

Lava.

Offline calihafan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 10:50:51 PM
Hey you guys/gals-

I'm sorry that its not working for you, but I'm pretty sure its an mp3 file (that's the extension). Try not playing it in musicmatch, I've always had issues with that program. iTunes? I haven't tried it with Windows Media Player. It works in Quicktime, and, for those fellow Mac users out there, VLC.
I appreciate your interest in my file though, even if it didn't play for you. I apologize if this is my fault.

Calih

Offline kriskicksass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 11:15:15 PM
The thing to do is to change the extension from .mp3 to .mp4. Then it should play just fine.

BTW, good job. Look forward to seeing you at camp next year!

Offline didier_brest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 10:34:47 AM
Superb! On what piano do you play?

Offline calihafan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 02:45:00 PM
Thanks! I played on a (Kris correct me if I'm wrong) Steinway Concert Grand. Thanks a lot! Any suggestions or comments?

Offline didier_brest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005, 10:39:17 PM
Playing on such a piano shall be a wonderfull experience.
About 10 years ago, I heard this sonata interpreted at a concert by Miguel Angel Estrella. I do not remember that he played it better than you...
Much life and feeling, bravo!
You can certainly still improve your interpretation but I am not skill enough for giving to you any advice.

Didier

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: September 04, 2005, 02:34:56 AM
It is very good and clean. The only thing is that it didn't sound "tempest". It sounded little gentle rain  ;D It is a tempest, there needs to be more energy, more fury, more power. Speed is okay, tough I like a bit faster. My opinion, but still a very good and enjoyable performance.

Offline didier_brest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 04, 2005, 10:46:08 AM
The name 'The tempest' was not given by Beethoven. I remember than in its introducing comment at the concert that I mentionned above, Miguel Angel Estrella said that the relevance of this name was questionable.

Offline calihafan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 05, 2005, 01:27:26 AM
Yeah the impression I got while learning this piece was that it was more of a calm after the storm. The first movement, now there's a piece that needs tempesty feeling! Even if Beethoven did not intend the sonata to be named The Tempest, the first movement definitely has that quality. The third movement, I think, was supposed to be more ethereal, light and airy. I think the piece would suffer if you gave it too much oomph. But there's always interpretation.

This was all the advice of my coach at the Piano Institute, so I played it that way.

Thanks you guys! I'll try to get more recordings and post them. Is it okay to post two piano stuff? I'm doing the Mozart Double Fugue in c minor with the pianist at my school and I might be able to record it.

Calih

Offline violinist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: September 05, 2005, 03:54:15 PM
Wow.. the Beethoven.. D minor Mvt.3 was amazing.  You're amazing...

Damn... I wish I could play like that.

Thanks for the music.  More please!
Practice!

Offline danyal

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: September 09, 2005, 06:49:21 PM
Very good! A bit slow... and the interpretation can improve, but for a weeks worth of work, excellent!! I salute you! :)

Wow.. the Beethoven.. D minor Mvt.3 was amazing.  You're amazing...

***... I wish I could play like that.

If you really wanted to play like that, you would practise as hard as the people who can do. Not meaning to be harsh or anything...
I dont play an instrument, I play the piano.

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: September 10, 2005, 03:00:39 AM

Wow, splendid performance calihafan!

The day I can play like this will be the day Im a very happy man indeed. Can I ask how long you've been playing?

Offline calihafan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: September 10, 2005, 03:45:59 PM
I've been playing for seven years as of this september, but I didn't start doing actual music and that kind of thing until about four years ago - that started with Beethoven Bagatelles and stuff, and then Mozart Sonatas, gradually up to Beethoven Sonatas and Mozart Nocturnes, and now this! I'm doing the second movement of the Pathetique right now and F-I (very long term project but I love the piece), and some chamber work.

Calih

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: September 10, 2005, 06:49:09 PM
I love this piece and tried twice to listen, but it will not play.   :'(
From everyone's comments, you must have done a great performance.  Wish I could hear it!

All the best,Teresa

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: September 10, 2005, 07:14:03 PM
I've been playing for seven years as of this september, but I didn't start doing actual music and that kind of thing until about four years ago - that started with Beethoven Bagatelles and stuff, and then Mozart Sonatas, gradually up to Beethoven Sonatas and Mozart Nocturnes, and now this! I'm doing the second movement of the Pathetique right now and F-I (very long term project but I love the piece), and some chamber work.

Calih

I cant wait until I can start doing the Beethoven Sonata's. I have done bits (like movements from the Op49 sonatas, Moonlight Mov1 etc), but my favorites are still way out of my league.

So you've been learning pieces for 4 years, wow thats some progression. Did you find that you 3 years of prior noodling help you much (as Im a big advocate of noodling)?

Offline calihafan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: September 10, 2005, 07:32:00 PM
Well it was mainly technique and starter books. Just learning scales, chords, arpeggios, etc, and doing those books that teach you that G is here and A is there and that's what it is so stop complaining kind of thing.

Yup.

Calih

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: September 13, 2005, 03:59:48 AM

Yeh, I must admit, noodling for a while is the way forward! Just getting to know an instrument through and through without actually musical issues to bother about.

Iv never met a teacher who advocates this practice, but Iv witnessed its effectiveness SOOO many times. Its kind of like running around, playing for years as a kid, then getting interested in sports during high school.

Sorry, kinda OT. But interesting none the less. I bet there isnt many poeple who could reach your standard with just four years of formal training. Long live the noodle! ;D

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: September 13, 2005, 07:06:03 PM
Wahoo that rules, nice work.
I'd use a bit more pedal and dynamics, but you're doing really well. :)
I'm actually working on this movement myself (yeah my latest act of insanity, heh); absolutely love it.
thanks for posting!
edit- btw for those of you who cant get the file to work- try playing it with the VLC media player (works for all platforms):
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/
[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert