Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Classical Improv Preludes  (Read 3700 times)

Offline randmc

• PS Silver Member
Classical Improv Preludes
on: September 24, 2005, 03:52:23 AM
These here are a few classical improv pieces I did last winter. The first one, "Slow Down" starts out fast in the beginning section, then it 'slows down' for the middle section only to return to its normal fast paced theme. https://www.savefile.com/files/2603378

The 6th prelude, or "Dear Bach", starts out with a familiar Chinese jingle and then progresses to a 'Bach like' section around the middle.  The whole piece finishes off with the small section from the beginning. https://www.savefile.com/files/3237226

The 17th prelude, or the "II Jazz Prelude", is a typical jazz/blues piece. No identified pattern really.....It's one of my favorites. https://www.savefile.com/files/6191517

The "January Rag", or 18th Prelude, is a nice sounding rag with a steady tempo, and pattern. It reflects some of Joplin's rags in a way, but also has its own unique sound.
https://www.savefile.com/files/1585931

The 21st Prelude, or "My Little Sonatina", starts out sounding to me like a sonatina of some sort. It then enters a Gershwin-ish sort of section around the middle, and finally ends with another "Bach like" section.
https://www.savefile.com/files/1196771

I'd appreciate your criticisms and comments....Thanks!! :D

Offline randmc

• PS Silver Member
Re: Classical Improv Preludes
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 03:57:38 AM
By the way, if you would like to hear any of my other Classical Improv Preludes just tell me on here.

Offline randmc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 04:30:07 AM
bump

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 06:15:43 AM
These are improvisations of a very attractive, disciplined and accomplished order. Criticism is out of the question, at least from me. I have not heard their like for a very long time and they are very refreshing. It is how my teacher used to improvise and it demands a very strong short term memory and determination not to shoot off on tangents.

The first one is especially evocative in its contrasting form. Whenever I try to do that I always tend to forget what I was doing in the first bit. This first one, the sonatina and the Bach one appeal to me personally, but my opinion is neither here nor there.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline epitaf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 08:40:31 AM
What program do I need to listen to them?

Offline da jake

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 05:00:45 PM
Enjoyable stuff. You're very talented.  :)

How long have you been playing?
"The best discourse upon music is silence" - Schumann

Offline randmc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 07:53:49 PM
Enjoyable stuff. You're very talented.  :)

How long have you been playing?

About 4½-5 years.

Offline randmc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 09:55:10 PM
no more replies  :'(

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 02:48:16 AM
I don't think they realise exactly what you are doing, randmc. Don't worry too much about it. The blanket term "improvisation" covers a multitude of mental processes whose results are not always proportional to their acuity. (Just as well for people like me actually !) Possibly I've been around longer and happen to have known a couple of players like you, I suppose. Mind you, I'm not decrying the free transportation way of Jarrett, the mental arithmetic men or the pattern memory men and so on - not at all - it's what I often do myself. However, unless I'm horribly mistaken, what you are doing comes from a different combination of faculties and accordingly the results are quite distinctive.

I look forward very much to hearing more.

Offline randmc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 03:42:30 AM
Thank you! :D I look forward to posting more of them.

Offline randmc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 09:17:10 PM
I'm thinking about posting some of my other preludes. Should I?

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 09:53:06 PM
That is entirely your decision and nobody else's, of course. I couldn't think about anything else but your music half of last weekend and couldn't concentrate on the shopping I was doing with my wife. I had much the same reaction as when I heard David Thomas Roberts for the first time. I am personally very desirous of hearing more of your ideas but I can always contact you privately I suppose.

Just please yourself, and don't take general response to heart. Music does not begin and end on forums - not by a long way.

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 01:07:37 AM
Hey randmc, this is really good stuff. You're a man after my own heart, improv wise.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert