Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: scriabin etude in c#m  (Read 3822 times)

Offline crazy for ivan moravec

• PS Silver Member
scriabin etude in c#m
on: October 15, 2005, 02:55:10 PM
in the same recital as the other recordings i posted, this was the encore which i never thought i would play so i didn't practice it since i thought it was easy to memorize, hehe.

pls tell me what u think. thanks a lot!
Well, keep going.<br />- Martha Argerich

Offline crazy for ivan moravec

• PS Silver Member
Re: scriabin etude in c#m
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 03:34:18 PM
just to add to what i said above- i was trying to excuse myself because i missed a few notes. hehe:)
Well, keep going.<br />- Martha Argerich

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 04:26:28 PM
The missed notes are of little consequence given the level of musicianship displayed here. I'm seriously impressed with your beautiful warm tone, your ability to project the melodic line above the accompaniment, and the superb control of dynamics, especially at the pianissimo levels. Your phrasing and sense of the line is superb - I especially like the way you taper off at the end of the phrase, because that's how I would do it myself. These qualities are often under-appreciated, given the attraction of fast and loud playing, but your recording of this etude reveals you to be a very sensitive musician. Ivan Moravec's obviously a great inspiration for you. Well done!

Offline Teddybear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 09:37:01 AM
I disagree on the control of dynamics. Some of the long phrases really don't work, because the volume is escaping to piano or pianissimo all the time. It cuts the phrase into separate bits, which I think is not the idea. Fortunately, this seems to be a little less of a problem towards the end.

T
Teddybear

(>"<)
('(ö,   )")
  '(¥   )/
   ¿.¿.J

Offline gaer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 03:49:48 AM
I disagree on the control of dynamics. Some of the long phrases really don't work, because the volume is escaping to piano or pianissimo all the time. It cuts the phrase into separate bits, which I think is not the idea. Fortunately, this seems to be a little less of a problem towards the end.

T
They worked for me very well. Is it possible that you are not taking into account the fact that the recording equipment is not the best? I believe you are hearing an idiomatic Russian phrasing at times which starts phrases loud and descrescendos rather than arching, and if you don't like this, you won't like the playing. Horowitz was probably more famous for doing this than any other pianist.

I found the reading extremely expressive and very passionate. Strange how we hear such different things in the same music. Do you play this yourself?

Gary

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 05:08:23 AM
Excellent phrasing and clear playing. Your rolled chords work very well and are kept unobtrusive. I enjoyed your playing, keep up the good work.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert