Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven - Op. 27/2 "Moonlight" (complete)  (Read 6224 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven - Op. 27/2 "Moonlight" (complete)
on: October 30, 2005, 07:01:00 AM
I learned this quite a while ago, as my first Beethoven Sonata.  Now that I have decent equipment, I thought I would record it.  

For the third movement rather than choosing a hyper fast tempo that I could only pull of in a recording, I chose a more realistic one that I would be comfortable playing live infornt of people.  

Beethoven - Sonata Op. 27/2 "Moonlight
1) Adagio Sostenuto
2) Allegretto
3) Presto

Mic: (2x) Studio Projects B1
Interface: Edirol UA-25
Piano: Yamaha C3

Enjoy!

Note: I have a slow connection so it may be a while before all movements are uploaded
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven - Op. 27/2 "Moonlight" (complete)
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 08:08:16 AM
Sounded good to me, i agree with your tempo and the use of pedal , i think Beethoven would have liked the interpretation. Do you use the soft pedal on the bass chords , if so thats a great idea.
      Shame you have not dawnloaded the other 2 movt, the rapsodic finally is playd well by Shnable, though a little too fast ( in my humble opinion ) . 157 crotchets per minut for the finally is in good taste.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 08:44:31 AM
Mvt. 2
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 10:01:40 AM
Mvt. 3

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 11:09:58 AM
Thank you so much fo that quantum, i heard you play the third mvt , sounds like you put a lot of thought in to that the intellect is in play. Very exciting i keep this sonata close to my heart and can spend all day discussing it. When i listen to this mvt i can imagin Beethoven riding on his horse at full speed, furious about something, riding very fast in the country side agitated about his hearing difficulty.
I know why you play it at that tempo but pleas try it at 157 beat per minut in privat, and increase the gap between FF and pp. Need more imagination and passion, at the moment it sound digital, Beethoven was an incredable intellectual who was driven to suiside and madness by his hearing difficulty, he grabed fate by its throat. Step on it do 0 - 60 in five seconds. All the best.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline didier_brest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 02:40:11 PM
I listened to your first movement. Technically very good. I like this tempo. I would like being able to maintain a rythm as stable like you. ::)
Are your mics just above the strings?

Offline randmc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 09:13:52 PM
First movement: Very good.
Second movement: Didn't like it to much. Piano kind of sounded out of tune in places.
Third movement: Kind of sounded as if your fingers were dragging behind....like they weren't fast enough.

This is all imo. Some people my feel or think different.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 05:12:51 AM
Thanks for your comments. 

Zheer, yes I do use the soft pedal quite a bit in the first movement.  Which bass chords are you talking about? 

I understand that need for passion in the 3rd movement, just now fingers have to do it.  When I was recording it, it did sound like there was good contrast beetween lound and soft, but I guess not enough was projected in the recording.  At the moment the 138 (or so) that I'm playing at is comfortable and I can be quite controlled with accuracy and dynamics.  I'd like to push to that 157 or so, but it becomes a little sloppy. 

didier_brest, pacing in the 1st mvt is tricky because you don't want to push it too fast, or drag it so slow that there is no coherence in the melody.  I just think of steady quarters at a rate which the melody would flow, but also doesn't push the triplets too fast.  The mics were placed just outside the rim of the piano, raised high so they can see most of the sound board, and angled slightly down toward that area. 

randmc, any detailed comments on what exactly you didn't like, and tips for improvement?

Offline randmc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 03:47:07 PM
randmc, any detailed comments on what exactly you didn't like, and tips for improvement?
In the first movement, I thought you used a bit too much pedal at times. But then again, it is Moonlight Sonata...
The second movement I thought you used a bit too less of pedal. It also didn't seem too connected...it kind of seemed like you were hesitant at what to play next.
The third movement, like I said before, sounded as if your fingers weren't fast enough...they sounded like they were dragging behind.
This might just be my imagination or hearing, but otherwise I thought your performance was pretty good.

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 05:58:42 PM
there can never be enough pedal in the first movement.
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 06:52:17 PM

Listened to the first movement, very nice! I think this would be particularly effective at pleasing a crowd, as it sounds very much as you'd expect it too (if you know what I mean).

There seems to be a lot of controversy over how to play this movement - atleast Iv heard many MANY recordings get slated. I doubt anyone could do that here, as this appears to be very solid (imo).

I must admit, my own interpretation of this piece is quite different. I like to instill much more dramatics into my versions - for example, at the modulation in b10 I like to roll the chord and give it some emphasis. I probably play this movement harder than most, with more contrast. But Im quite sure most people would have me hung for this ;D

As for the third movement, I cant comment to much on this as its way out of my league. I would say that Id prefer it to be faster, but thats just me. The fact that you can play it at all is immensely impressive, well done!

Offline gaer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 04:23:25 AM
I learned this quite a while ago, as my first Beethoven Sonata.  Now that I have decent equipment, I thought I would record it. 

For the third movement rather than choosing a hyper fast tempo that I could only pull of in a recording, I chose a more realistic one that I would be comfortable playing live infornt of people. 

1) Adagio Sostenuto
2) Allegretto
3) Presto

Enjoy!

Note: I have a slow connection so it may be a while before all movements are uploaded
The only negative thing I have to say is that eventually you have to make the last movement more wild. This is, of course, my personal opinion, but I felt as though there are some sections that you can't play faster (yet) and that you had to keep the whole movement a bit slower because of them.

On the other hand, I applaud the fact that you are playing within your ability now, because if you keep the last movement as it is and periodically return to it, I believe you can add some extra speed eventually. And if you pushed it now, I think you would destroy what you have built. In my mind I heard a very fine "practice" version, something that is going to get the extra punch sometime in the future, and not too far from now either.

I thought the first two movements were excellent. Any "criticisms" I might have about those would be based on my own personal feelings about playing these movements, and I don't think making judgements on that basis is valid.

Overall I think the whole recording (all movements) was quite fine!

Gary

Offline jamtek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 05:34:16 PM
Quantum:

I think your performance is fabulous!  I just started learning piano (now at 42) but have always had a love of music so I am very familiar with the piece. I am trying to learn it right now.

I am enjoying listening to you on my ipod frequently. ;D

Bravo!

--J

I learned this quite a while ago, as my first Beethoven Sonata.  Now that I have decent equipment, I thought I would record it. 

1) Adagio Sostenuto
2) Allegretto
3) Presto

Enjoy!

Offline yamaha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 05:23:37 PM
Mvt. 3

Why can't I download it?  This is my favourite piece, please help  :( :(

Offline yamaha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 06:10:51 PM
Ive fixed it!!  ;D ;D

I have only listened to the 3rd mvmnt.  Well done!  I am learning this at the moment but it is certainly not ready for anyone other than me to hear! hahah  ;D ;D

I particularly struggle with those trills.........  I'm sure you know which ones I mean  ;D

If I had to make a small critisisms, it would be that I felt there was too much pedal  at bars 43-57 and also bars 137-150.

Also, your trill at bar 187 is much too long  :o

I hope I haven't offended you, like I say, I cant play it at all so maybe I shouldn't comment really.  However, as it is my favourite piece of music ever, I have listened to many many recordings so thought you might appreciate some feedback  :)

Offline yamaha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 06:16:42 PM
Ps..  I love your bars 85-100.......... I think the balance between the hands is perfect  :) :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert