Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Rachmaninoff - Romance from Suite no. 2 for 2 pianos  (Read 4593 times)

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Rachmaninoff - Romance from Suite no. 2 for 2 pianos
on: November 20, 2005, 03:12:55 PM
Recorded in Dec 1999, using a Mini Disc recorder and 2 7 foot Ibach grands. Personally, I'm rather embaressed and dissatisfied with the execution of this piece, with clinkers, obvious technical difficulties and what not. But I did think the original musical conception, if executed properly, would have been satisfactory. Do let those comments come in!

Offline gaer

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rachmaninoff - Romance from Suite no. 2 for 2 pianos
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 04:47:17 AM
Recorded in Dec 1999, using a Mini Disc recorder and 2 7 foot Ibach grands. Personally, I'm rather embaressed and dissatisfied with the execution of this piece, with clinkers, obvious technical difficulties and what not. But I did think the original musical conception, if executed properly, would have been satisfactory. Do let those comments come in!
I don't know this composition and have never seen the score. I can tell that some very small things (to me) went wrong, but they seem rather insignificant, What I like is that both of you sound incredibly well balanced. You seem in absolute agreement about what you wanted to accomplish.

The recording itself seems very open and "atmospheric", as if there is a lot of space. It seems to me to have just the right amount of "bounce" or "reverb".

Sometimes you listen to something and just say, "That was nice." You know, just sit back, listen, feel relaxed. It was a very pleasant listening experience. :)

Gary

Offline lani_piano_learner

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 04:14:11 AM

I enjoyed it though it is an unfamiliar piece to me. I particularly liked your expressiveness/musicality.

I will come back and listen to this one again for sure.   :)

Offline crazy for ivan moravec

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 03:17:47 PM
this recording you posted is wonderful! very romantic! like gaer said, you two seemed to have agreed very well with the music.

i once page turned for a performance of this in a faculty recital. so i know how difficult the other movements are, sheesh! wonderful work! i'm sure you had fun working on this.

great music making! you made rachmaninoff very happy. i can't find anything that needs improvement. :) hoping for the other movements to be posted.
Well, keep going.<br />- Martha Argerich

Offline wzkit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 04:45:49 PM
Thank you all for your very kind comments. I think I would agree with the point that we agreed very well with the musical ideas. That only comes after much discussion and agreement about just how much liberties we should take. But I still think there's lots that needs to be improved actually. It is the easiest movement of the whole suite, but already it is so difficult for me! I would love to be able to play the other movements, but I doubt very much I would be able to handle them technically.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert