Piano Forum logo
November 23, 2014, 07:45:09 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Moonlight Trapped in the Sonata Form?

How can we explain the immense popularity of the sonata for over two hundred years? What makes it so satisfying, so complete? Here we listen to a recent performance of the Moonlight Sonata by pianist Yundi Li from a popular TV-show in Japan. His interpetation is quite traditional with a slow and beautiful rendition of the first movement. But there is another completely different way to interpret it. Which do you prefer? Read more >>

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rachmaninoff's hand span  (Read 58303 times)
chikchak
PS Silver Member

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2010, 09:36:06 AM »

Your talking about small hands.. lol

I barely can do from C to D (8th) and I'm 16!

But still, I played already Rachmaninoff's Prelude 5 (op23 no5) and Elegie (Op3 no1)
Perfectly Smiley

It's just how much you want to succeed the piece you play
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
birba
PS Silver Member

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2010, 10:31:41 AM »

It's just how much you want to succeed the piece you play
  Golden words.  Smiley
bach_rach_and_roll
PS Silver Member

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2010, 05:03:43 PM »

When people hold their hands up to mine they go "OMG chibi hand!!"
I can stretch my hand so that my thumb and pinky are in one line, but when I do that I barely reach an octave if I use proper posture. If I slide to the edge of the keys I can kinda get a ninth. I've never dreamed of stretching a tenth. I can't even roll the C-G one as a grace note. You lucky, long handed people. Angry
Actually, my teacher forbids me to play Rachmaninoff because of my limited reach. I'm allowed to play the Polichinelle from Opus 3, but that's it. And if she found out I've read through 3/2, the Prelude in c#, I think she'd seriously slap me.   Embarrassed

and birba, for your last comment about chikchak's thing... that's the only reason I've played Polichinelle and the prelude from Debussy's Pour le Piano... it's not so bad if you look back and say "well I did that with a little determination and a couple dropped notes... I can do it again!" thanks for the reminder Cheesy
gyzzzmo
PS Silver Member

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2010, 08:53:22 PM »

A relativly big reach due to good spread has indeed some advantages, especially when playing some of the Rachmaninov repetoire.
But on the other hand, it has some disadvantages too. I have to keep my fingers more curved (takes more time) at fast passages on notes between the black keys, because of my broader fingers. And there are alot more compositions of those, than those big-chord-pieces of Rachmaninov Wink

Gyzzzmo

1+1=11
overfjell
PS Silver Member

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2011, 10:46:25 AM »

. And if she found out I've read through 3/2, the Prelude in c#, I think she'd seriously slap me.   Embarrassed

Why? There's no particularly big stretches in there. There is that C# to B, but that's not even a stretch, more a jump. Apart from that, the biggest stretch is an octave, I think...

Now learning:
Chopin Etude Op. 10 No. 1 in C Major
Rachmaninoff Prelude Op. 23 No. 5 in G Minor
Chopin Polonaise Op. 40 No. 2 in C Minor
Scriabin Prelude for the Left Hand Alone
tb230
PS Gold Member

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2011, 09:21:06 AM »

A bit on the side of topic, but you can measure your hand span on http://www.steinbuhler.com/index.html
According to this, although my little finger measures only 4.5 cm (1.8 inches) Roll Eyes , I have a normal span due to good flex.
pianoplayjl
PS Silver Member

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2011, 02:18:04 AM »

Rachmaninoff's hand in the right could play the chord c-e flat-g-c-g and reach a thirteenth. I think probably because he had some sort of illness and thats why he was tall.

A vigilante is just a man lost in the scramble for his own gratification.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: