Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Live Improv - November 18, 2005  (Read 3264 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Live Improv - November 18, 2005
on: November 23, 2005, 10:59:09 AM
This was recorded live at an Improv Soiree at my University.  It was somewhat based on a previous improv I posted here a while back.  Same idea but I wanted to see what else I could do with it. 

I'm still experimenting with my mic placements in a live environment.  While this was piano solo, the night may produce any number of random instrumentations including non western instruments so the mics were placed back behind the dance area and rather wide apart. 

Mic: (2x) Studio Projects B1
Interface: Edirol UA-25
Piano: Kawai EX

Enjoy!
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline justliam

Re: Live Improv - November 18, 2005
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 05:32:42 PM
Hey that sounds pretty *** good.  Is it pure improvisation or you have a few sketal structures you mess around with? either way very good and very umm 20th centuary lol
Btw, can't really comment on the quality of the recording, mic positions etc cos I'm only listening to it on cruddy pc speakers :(
\\\\\\\"That\\\\\\\'s not a gadget Michael, that\\\\\\\'s just monstrous use of a Biro.\\\\\\\"

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 09:53:37 PM
Thanks. 

I went into it knowing the basic technique I needed to use and the sound I wanted.  The bulk of the main idea is using random alternating hands with single notes in the bass range of the piano. 

The middle section comprises of a minimalistic technique of superimposing different rhythmic patterns assigned to each hand.  Eg: RH gets 4, LH 3, and the pattern cycles - Not 4 against 3 rather the notes have equal value.  The addition of alternating hands using the pattern sets one hand half a note out of phase with the other hand and creates an additional polyphonic line that appears from the juxtaposition of both parts played simultaneously. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 05:49:56 AM
Hi quantum,

Thanks for posting those comparisons.  You know, I think I like the sound of your home C3 better than the C7, believe it or not.  Nice improv too--high energy and drive.  Impressive!  Between the C7 and the Kawai EX, I preferred the latter.  But... I've never been too keen on Kawai in general.  To me it has a neutral, plain vanilla tone that lacks a characteristic signature.  I haven't played one for a long time, but I sometimes read that  pianists still find the action too stiff on Kawai.  It sure didn't hinder you though!  :D

You show quite an affinity to contemporary music.  You play it very well too, including that string brushing part.  I give anyone who tackles "modern" music credit for just being able to read the scores, make sense of the notation symbols, interpret what it's supposed to sound like... never mind play it.  Kudos on that! 

The piano ensemble live improv was interesting.  Sounds like it was a fun experience.

Studio Project makes really good stuff.  I did a lot of reading on mics and mic positioning today.  The majority seems to advocate small diaphragm condensers with omni-directional capsules for recording classical piano.  You get good results though with the B1 large diaphragms (used mostly for vocal music I gather) and your cartioid capsules.  It sounds like you place your mics fairly close in to the piano, yes?  That's has been my method too, which is why I always used the cartioids and low-cut option.  marik has urged that I set the mics farther back and switch over to my omni-directionals--a whole new approach for me. 

So when I get all my gear next week, I need to do a lot of experimentation on mic positioning, switching the capsules, and the mic configurations, A-B, X-Y in particular, as well as mic height on the stands, mic panning angle, etc.  I'll have to number each experiment, map it on a room schematic, describe the settings I used for each, and comment on each out-take for comparison.  And there are some room limitations that will eliminate certain possibilities.  So I'll be trying to find the optimal available solution.  Of course, there is some subjectivity with this stuff too.  It's not science, it's more trial and error.  The more articles you read on recording classical piano music, the more disagreement you find.  It seems that everyone including the recording engineers have their favorite approaches.  Anyway, I definitely have my work cut out!   :) 

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert