Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: The Scriabin 9th Sonata  (Read 5124 times)

Offline gaer

• PS Silver Member
The Scriabin 9th Sonata
on: November 30, 2005, 05:59:20 AM
If Koji played this, I would probably not upload it, but since this is one he does not play, I'll take my chances. :)

Gary

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Re: The Scriabin 9th Sonata
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 07:16:28 AM
I personally am a bigger fan of the orchestral transcription of the piece. It is so much more eerie with all the colours of the orchestra.

Offline gaer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 09:50:28 AM
I personally am a bigger fan of the orchestral transcription of the piece. It is so much more eerie with all the colours of the orchestra.
Hookaay. What can I say? :(

Offline pita bread

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 07:01:19 AM
Your clarity in the recording is impressive. Insane bass. Some of it should be a bit more murky though, think veiled or shrouded by mists...

Offline allthumbs

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 07:04:16 AM
Greetings gaer

I thoroughly enjoyed your recording. Nice job! What piano did you use for this performance?

Cheers

allthumbs :)
Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 12:38:58 PM
  This is definitely a performance that would benefit from being on a "real" piano; really  like all of your ideas in this piece, especially in the march section--very effective.

koji
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline gaer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 04:56:10 AM
  This is definitely a performance that would benefit from being on a "real" piano; really  like all of your ideas in this piece, especially in the march section--very effective.

koji
Only one comment about a "real piano". I want one like the one you performed you Scriabin 10th on!

I can only hope that I am able to get close enough to presenting my own conceptions of how I would like things to sound, based on the ideal sound that takes place in my head. The most frustrating part of working with my own digital is the lack of sufficient power at one end (that kind of electrifying, exciting sound that a great grand produces) and the missing delicate colors of a true una corda pedal. The "fake soft pedal" attempts to mimic the real thing by subtly descreasing the perceived velocity, but there is no actual change in sound.

I'm not only limited by digital technology, but it's old, closer to 15 years old than 10, I think, and the newer ones are much better, although still in another universe from a magnificent concert grand. :)

Right now we are struggling to replace windows blown out by Wilma and to pay basic bills, living in a tiny apartment with no privacy. I was so embarrassed to have nothing to play on but a "fake piano" that I hesitated for a long time to post at all, and I'm still painfully aware that the best recordings I'm hearing on this forum are mostly performed on instruments that I've only had the luck to play on perhaps a handful of times in my life, and more than two decades ago, while I was still performing. :(

Regardless, thanks for all the comments. At least perhaps someone visiting here will get an introduction to music that he or she has not heard before and will explore some of the famous performances of such works.

Gary

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 03:58:09 AM
Gary, this is an excellent interpretation!  Despite your digital, you seem to have adapted your playing so that much of the character of the music is not lost to the lack of an accoustic.  Your intentions seem to come out quite clearly. 

I agree with Koji, the march section was quite well done.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline gaer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 04:47:04 AM
Gary, this is an excellent interpretation!  Despite your digital, you seem to have adapted your playing so that much of the character of the music is not lost to the lack of an accoustic.  Your intentions seem to come out quite clearly. 

I agree with Koji, the march section was quite well done.
Thank you. It's actually a very dangerous piece for me to play. It has a tendency to "take me over", and since doing it, I've fallen into a mood that is a bit like the composition. :(

Gary
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert