Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Schumann's "Grillen" from Fantasiestücke  (Read 8070 times)

Offline mwarner1

• PS Silver Member
Schumann's "Grillen" from Fantasiestücke
on: December 15, 2005, 08:55:44 AM
I just got the file from my recital. Considering how nervous I was, I think it came out pretty well. Lots of sloppiness surely, and I definitely could have played more tenderly at times. I've played it better, but I feel good about the overall outcome interpretation-wise.

Just thought I'd share, thanks for listening.

Offline xamy

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schumann's "Grillen" from Fantasiestücke
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 09:37:52 PM
One or 2 mistakes, but that is a performance to be proud of. I really liked it. I have recordings of Rubinsteing and Argerich playing it and while you might not be that standard (who is?), you certainly are bloody good. Plenty of emotion which is essential with Schumann. Good dynamic variation too. You seemed to settle into the piece better as you went along. Well done!

Offline kreso

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 10:07:28 PM
Really good!! :) 
You play that piece with great humanity and beauty, and I really enjoy.
I suggest to you to learn the whole set, because it sounds better in the set.
Just keep playing with that tension!

Offline mwarner1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 04:27:32 PM
Thank you very much for your kind replies! That truly really means a lot to me -- I've always played for myself and by myself (only started taking lessons again this year, and this was my first piano recital since 5th grade :o), and I've never put any of my music out there to be critiqued in a (somewhat) objective medium like this one.

Offline gonzalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 05:59:07 PM
It's marvellous, FANTASTIC  :P!!!!!
You're really good and you've made me love this piece... The piece was played with spirit, and strength...
Congratulations  ;D
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline ako

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 07:32:46 AM
This is really good!  :D I can see that you have put some thought into this. You are taking some time between some sections. I would say do it more deliberately if you are going to do it. Take your time on ritard.'s. Have your say in this since you're already doing such a great job.

I know you might want suggestions or just another opinion and not just praises (or at least I hope it's ok to give some suggestions) I think the piece can be more interesting (for me) if you can bring out a little bit more of the bass line in M62 section. There is an interesting phrase in M63 (and when it occurs again) and somehow it's not coming through as clear as it should. Also, if you can, keep the ff up to the end and then do the sub. p 3rd beat M73. I think you backed off a little and did not carry the ff through. It's true that our ears need a split second to adjust to the dynamic difference, so give it a split second between the ff and p. I think it'll sound cool.

Great! I enjoyed listening to your recording. LEt us know when you have another one!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert