Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Rachmaninoff: Etude in c, Op.39/1  (Read 2927 times)

Offline nortti

• PS Silver Member
Rachmaninoff: Etude in c, Op.39/1
on: January 04, 2006, 09:08:21 PM
 :-X

Offline fun king ded

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rachmaninoff: Etude in c, Op.39/1
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 06:33:03 AM
Hey nortti,

Nice playing!!  Surprised no one else has commented.  The recording is not so good, but you know already that I'm sure. 

This is one of the most difficult of the Etudes-Tableaux and you are really close to getting it together.  Based on the recording its difficult to tell your shading of the dynamics, but sounds like you are on the right track.

Starting on measure 25 to measure 30, I would like to hear the melody in the left-hand even more pronouced, and the accompaniment alittle softer.  Another thing I noticed in the ending, starting on the 4th measure from the end.  I would like to hear even more of an exaggerated accelerando along with an even bigger cresendo.  Its Rach - go ahead and dig in  ;) 

I'm sure you have heard Richter play this etude?
Best of luck!

Offline crazy for ivan moravec

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 02:11:38 AM
wonderful.. wonderful. i'd love to hear you live playing this! congratulations!
Well, keep going.<br />- Martha Argerich

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 09:24:51 AM
the notes are there, you have done well. But, wheres the passion? i mean, youve got the structure, it flows well, the notes are there, but you sound like you dont have enough strength to play it (im sure you do). There is musicality there, but not enough.

Good overall though.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert