Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Bach: Prelude & Fugue in d minor, WTK II, take 2..  (Read 5811 times)

Offline nortti

• PS Silver Member
Bach: Prelude & Fugue in d minor, WTK II, take 2..
on: January 04, 2006, 09:16:00 PM
This time the prelude is actually exceptionally slow and tame, but whatever.. ;D

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach: Prelude & Fugue in d minor, WTK II, take 2..
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 09:33:43 PM
This sounds a lot better, the tempo is perfect, man it reminds so much of my college days AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Anyway the fugue is ssssssssssssssoooooooooooo much better, respect.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 01:17:17 AM
While this is much more tolerable, you still need to be more careful with your articulation in the Prelude -- you're playing EVERY note staccato, with the exception of the arbitrary 2-note slur that I really can't tell if you're doing it on purpose or not.  Suggestion... try and play the 16th notes legato and the 8th notes in an almost staccato fashion, but not actually staccato -- more like a non-legato.

Watch the tempo in the Fugue... needs more consistency.

Wow, I actually recognized this piece now...
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 02:46:27 AM
nice!  I like this P/F... the first time it sounded more like Scarbo than any prelude and fugue i've heard of Bach.  This is awesome, love the piece!
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline rlefebvr

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 04:13:35 AM
I can't comment on the fugue, but the Prelude is very well done.

Congrats.
Ron Lefebvre

Ron Lefebvre © Copyright. Any reproduction of all or part of this post is sheer stupidity.

Offline nortti

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 02:53:15 PM
While this is much more tolerable, you still need to be more careful with your articulation in the Prelude -- you're playing EVERY note staccato, with the exception of the arbitrary 2-note slur that I really can't tell if you're doing it on purpose or not.  Suggestion... try and play the 16th notes legato and the 8th notes in an almost staccato fashion, but not actually staccato -- more like a non-legato.
Well, yes, maybe. I know I play the 16th notes too staccato sometimes, but most of the time it would just get blurred if played legato (at least in the school's chamber..) Note that there's practically no echo in my recordings (recorded in a small room with a bad mic) if I haven't added it.

Watch the tempo in the Fugue... needs more consistency.
That's been a problem for a very long time. From the beginning, actually. And it's a problem with most of the pieces I play. :P

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 05:10:05 AM
Well, yes, maybe. I know I play the 16th notes too staccato sometimes, but most of the time it would just get blurred if played legato (at least in the school's chamber..) Note that there's practically no echo in my recordings (recorded in a small room with a bad mic) if I haven't added it.
That's been a problem for a very long time. From the beginning, actually. And it's a problem with most of the pieces I play. :P

Well, not completely legato (perhaps you tend to overlap notes when playing legato?  That might explain the blurring of notes.), but the 16th notes shouldn't be definitely staccato in all places, either.  A smooth close-to-legato but non-staccato touch would probably sound good...
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert