Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Live Improv (on Mozart's birthday) - 3 pianos  (Read 3466 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Live Improv (on Mozart's birthday) - 3 pianos
on: February 09, 2006, 06:08:34 AM
Recorded live.  It sort of has a fanfare like quality in the beginning.  Alot of it is played on black keys only. 

The two pianos in the center are Kawai EX, the one on the left is Kawai GS-80.  The stereo image came out as well defined so if you listen with headphones you can sort of tell the direction of the sound.  I'm playing in the center. 

Mic: (2x) Studio Projects B1
Interface: Edirol UA-25

Enjoy!
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Re: Live Improv (on Mozart's birthday) - 3 pianos
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 07:02:59 AM
This is totally sweet. Where IS this school you go to that seems to have so many people into classical improvisation? It seems to me this should be a required part of every classical music conservatoire or school.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 10:05:07 PM
there's a reason why they're advertising used pianos after this improv.  (just kidding)  i liked it a lot too!  am sort of 'into' mellower jazz improv. - but the ending was mellower than the beginning.  you really know how to keep a beat going.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 10:30:48 PM
Thanks for listening.

Derek, the school is York University in Canada.  The improv professor here went to school at California Institute of the Arts.  He has created a rather large following for improv at our school.  He teaches several courses dealing with contemporary improvisation, including one specifically for pianists.  Unfortunately these are not required courses. 

I do agree with you that classical music training should include improvisation.  I think that this particular genre of improv doesn't get enough attention as it should. 

The recordings I'm posting are only a part of what happens at these improv nights.  There are usually dancers and sometimes visual artists that draw what they hear. 

Pianistimo, there are a lot more "creative" things that have happend to these pianos on improv nights  ;)  sometimes to the supprise of those watching.  Make an offer to buy a piano or two, then maybe we can get a hold of a Bose Imperial.   8)
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert