Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: fantasy impromtu  (Read 4721 times)

Offline rachmanny

• PS Silver Member
fantasy impromtu
on: March 06, 2006, 01:32:26 AM
Fantasy impromtu, chopin

I had to press record and run downstairs to play it since the pc was up. I usually play it better i was pretty exhausted after running a few more times before.lol
When i get someone to press record for me and not make any noise (cant trust my brothers) i will record a better one. Please tell me where i can improve.

Rachmanny

Offline rachmanny

• PS Silver Member
Re: fantasy impromtu
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 09:56:18 AM
oh and it starts in the 10th second i think

Offline jamie_liszt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 11:01:57 AM
Hey

I couldn't really hear it very clearly so I cannot make any actual good helpful tips. your playing seemed uneven, but I will not say anything else like dynamics, eveness and timing because its hard to pick up with the quality

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 05:42:10 AM

Sounds alright to me!

I surpose one could pick over the finer points, but thats what the teach is for. If you post a better quality rec then I'll most happy to offer my thoughts (for what they are worth!).

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 05:45:23 AM

Btw, try running the rec through a highpass filter at around 50-60Hz. Should get rid of that nasty hum.

Offline rachmanny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 06:02:08 PM

Does it help if i record with the mic alot closer to the piano? how about if I put it inside the piano would that help make the sound better?( i have a headset mic)

rachmanny

Offline rachmanny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 06:04:16 PM
Btw, try running the rec through a highpass filter at around 50-60Hz. Should get rid of that nasty hum.

will do

Offline randmc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 12:26:30 AM
Which version of Fantasie Impromptu are you playing?

Offline rachmanny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 10:41:13 PM
Which version of Fantasie Impromptu are you playing?
1834 vers. but i omited a small part and played it by ear, didnt want to read cause im a a slouch, so it will have a little difference.

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 09:08:14 PM

hmmm. i did this on audacity but it didnt help :/
TOm
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

Offline pizdac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 11:38:30 AM
Sounds great! Obviously my favorite classical song eva ;) good job

Offline letters

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 03:17:37 PM
it sounds really good! you play it really fast though its a bit daunting for someone whos just started learning this like me :S
i cant really hear many dynamic differences though maybe thats because of the recording.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 11:07:35 PM
Hi rach,

The recording is hard to hear, as you've said, so it's hard to offer suggestions.  Having said that, here's what I would suggest:

More clarity and accuracy.  I know it could be the recording, but I hear murky stuff instead of the notes in some of the fast RH runs.  Maybe less pedal?  Practice slowly a lot.

In the middle section, you need to emphasize the melody and not so much the rhythm of the bass.  Think "over bar lines" and long melody line. 

The coda sounds muddy and again, more clarity is needed,  the very last chord sounds too loud.  It is marked, I think, pp or ppp? 

Not to be too critical (This piece is HARD.)--You play with a lot of feeling!  Keep up the good work, and Have fun!
Teresa

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 11:47:16 PM

That won't help unfortunately.  If it was a 60 cycle hum that would be what I suggest as well.  This sounds more like feedback from a grounding loop.  Are you grounded?  If so, lift the ground and it should fix it -- or vise versa.  It could also be that you simply have dirty power.  They make filters for that as well, but they're REALLY expensive, so that won't help. 
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert