Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: brahms piano quintet in f minor, jury exam  (Read 4382 times)

Offline crazy for ivan moravec

• PS Silver Member
brahms piano quintet in f minor, jury exam
on: March 23, 2006, 01:51:50 PM
hi guys. not bad IMO, but definitely more improvement needed. we weren't able to rehearse for 1 month before this performance because of the state of emergency that happened in this country. we had 1 run-thru before playing but only up to the 3rd movement coz there was no more time. all in all we've had 4 rehearsals.
the 4th movement is the worst, hehe.

this is part of my jury exam for my recital program. before the quintet, i played:
bach P and F in fm, bk. 1, beethoven op.109, el pelele by granados, Liszt TE no. 10, and a filipino piece "bontok-ili.

we had so much fun playing the brahms.

enjoy!
comments are most welcome!:)
Well, keep going.<br />- Martha Argerich

• PS Silver Member
Re: brahms piano quintet in f minor
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 01:58:09 PM
3rd and 4th

• PS Silver Member
Re: brahms piano quintet in f minor, jury exam
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 12:07:13 PM
that bad, huh? :-X

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 10:01:17 PM
This piece is absolutely beautifull. I have heard it before, and I could say, you and your coleagues did a very good job. Amazing how you managed to play like this with only 4 rehearsals. Congrats!

Of course you can see ways to improve it, once you are studyng the piece. But from the audience´s point of view, its a pleasant interpretation. I like specialy the 2nd and 3rd movs. The 4rth doesn´t look any bad either! Thanks for sharing!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 05:47:36 AM
thank u.:)

it was a surprise that we were able to pull it off, somehow.:) but we're gonna clean it up in the next rehearsal and i do hope for the best on april 8, my recital.:) if you have any suggestion to make, anything at all, please feel free. i would like to bring it up in our practice so that it can improve some more.:)

thanks again..

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 11:52:34 PM
Very nice!  I listened to most all of it.  Brahms is SO difficult, and with only 4 rehearsals I think your playing was excellent.  My only suggestions would be as much rehearsal time as possible, so you all get used to playing this together.   Brahms can get murky, or the flow can become a little lost in the notes--everybody emoting--but the emotion must come out in a unity.  You are doing very well, though!  :)

Good luck!
Teresa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 06:26:22 PM
thank u. will take your advice, but of course we'll be having more rehearsals.:)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert