Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven - Sonata op 109- complete  (Read 5061 times)

Offline crazy for ivan moravec

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven - Sonata op 109- complete
on: April 25, 2006, 03:40:25 PM
hope you enjoy it. comments are most welcome!:) 2nd and 3rd movements are posted below.
Well, keep going.<br />- Martha Argerich

Offline steveie986

Re: Beethoven - Sonata op 109, 2nd movement
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 02:39:15 AM
I can't believe no one's responded to this thread.

Yes, please. I'd love to hear the other movements.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 06:23:59 AM
 ;D

here are the other movements.:) enjoy the good points, pretend you didn't hear the bad points. ;D

Offline electrafingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 05:45:28 PM
Hey this is just great! Especially I loved the first movement. Your musicality and expression are incredible. I'm so happy to hear that.

Pity the recording isn't very good, and the piano was out of tune (or is it also because of the recording?)

Anyway, keep it up!

Ishay
"The laws of morality are also those of art" - Robert Schumann

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 05:41:18 AM
thanks!:)

u notice the piano is a little sharp? yup, coz it's the same piano i used in the other recordings i posted here in the past. i don't know why the tuner keeps on tuning it that way. and it's still out of tune. it's a brand new 9foot kawai.

as with the recording equipment, it's not digital, and it's old- as in old! our school has the worst equipments i think, haha.

Offline matt haley

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 02:28:42 PM
on reflection your an extremely gifted pianist.
sonata 109 in technically and musically very demanding...the 2nd movement was a brilliant performance of it,exqusite voice in most areas,dynamics were followed well.

in bar 57 66,fom forte in the bass rushing up to the top f sharps,i think it should be more staccato(the dynamic is non legato),it sounds best this way.

also i think you could of done more with the crescendo at the end

apart from that it was great my friend,it may not look as hard as a liszt transcendental study but to declare every fine detail this is a real tough movement..

also your tempo was perfect,many pianists take it to fast by just looking at the presstissimo..

good job....

ive only played the first few pages of the 1st movement ,that was a few years back,its a gorgeous movement(in fact 109 is one of my fav sonatas), but il be honest

i do think your tempo is too fast in this piece

it should be livley/fast but no to much.... bear in mind you only have 8bars to establish this tempo before the sudden change to adagio expressivo..

the odd wrongs notes in the 1st movement can be overcome , just slow it down and make it a little more dolce...

overall technically/musically very very good

Matthew Haley

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 02:49:17 PM
thanks for taking your time to listen and comment, matt! i miss this kind of post. everybody seems to forget how great and helpful this Audition Room is to pianists.:)

i don't know if i feel it right, but i think my software (i transfer them to Adobe Audition) seems to make all my recordings a little bit slightly faster than the normal speed....?:( but i don't change anything except for a little bit of the living room reverb.

but regardless of that matter, yes i do agree that i should have tried more to make it dolce in the 1st movement. it felt like it wanted to rush.

i also agree that this piece is much much more difficult than a liszt TE. (btw, the program in this concert included liszt TE in fm. i posted it in the audition room)

and the rushing passage in the 2nd movement... oh well, hehe, some things i overlook during performance. ;D

about the tempo, thanks for your comment... although like i said, my software seems to make it a faster by a teeny weeny notch. risoluto comes into mind when i play the 2nd movement, and those triplets are always present in my mind from the first note to the last.:)

thanks again. invite me to comment on some of your recordings if you do post.:)

Offline alejo_90

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 06:31:42 AM
Nice work man !! I loved it! Specially the 3rd movement.

PD. By the way, wasn't Ivan Moravec a pianist?

Best
Alex
It's better to make your own mistakes than copy someone else's. - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline bearzinthehood

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 11:02:10 AM
I'm so happy you learned the third movement and I enjoyed it thoroughly.  IMO this is the most beautiful piece in all of the piano literature.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 01:23:10 PM
Nice work man !! I loved it! Specially the 3rd movement.

PD. By the way, wasn't Ivan Moravec a pianist?

Best
Alex

thank u, alex!:) yup, ivan moravec is a wonderful pianist. he is my favorite pianist when it comes to chopin and a lot of other stuff.:)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 01:24:43 PM
I'm so happy you learned the third movement and I enjoyed it thoroughly.  IMO this is the most beautiful piece in all of the piano literature.

thanks!:) oh yes, i love this piece so much because it makes me think, feel and enjoy every bit of it.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert