Piano Forum

Topic: Beethoven - op 2 no 1 prestissimo  (Read 11678 times)

Offline jebleeblus

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven - op 2 no 1 prestissimo
on: May 04, 2006, 07:16:37 PM
hellooooo :D
well i've recently finished getting the notes down for the last movement of the op 2 no 1 (in spite of the fact i got loads of exams coming up :() and jus put it up for you guys to listen to!

comments etc welcome, and yes i did slip up a few times :p

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven - op 2 no 1 prestissimo
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 10:14:48 PM
well i've recently finished getting the notes down for the last movement of the op 2 no 1 (in spite of the fact i got loads of exams coming up :() and jus put it up for you guys to listen to!

Sounds great. Im sure you'll have no problem building a nice interp on this. Maybe could do with up'ing the pace at certain points, but never the less, it sounds like its coming on very well imo.

Can I ask how long you've been playing?

SJ

Offline instromp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 03:40:53 AM

Ahh one of my favorite Beethoven Sonatas :D....1st time i heard it played by a person than a scorch. Simply great,loved hearing it :D ;D
the metranome is my enemy

Offline pianalex

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 12:59:07 PM
you've certainly got the notes, no question!  If i were you i think i would do a bit of work on the middle section, whhere the 3 chord acc. appears.  they could be a bit springier, and  more colourful.  Perhaps if it was a bit faster and quieter?   outling the harmonies and feeling where they want to go could help give them shape and purpose - sounded a bit dry and mechanical to me here.  possibly imagining them on the lower strings of an orchestra could help? then they could really support the delicious melody line.  Overall you are in a good position to start the really enjoyable issues of interpretataion and sonority, you show enviable control - its damn hard to get those opening broken chords to lie where they should be! :)

Offline jebleeblus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 04:04:48 PM
Sounds great. Im sure you'll have no problem building a nice interp on this. Maybe could do with up'ing the pace at certain points, but never the less, it sounds like its coming on very well imo.

Can I ask how long you've been playing?

SJ

erm i started when i was 10 and im 16 now, so 6 years :p

thx everyone for the encouraging comments!
i am working on keeping the broken chord triplets quieter at some places which is quite hard to do without missing notes out, especially when its going so quickly  >:(

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 01:39:53 PM

Arrau does a good job with this Sonata, I highly recommend you have a listen to his recording.

SJ

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 02:26:22 PM
Great job!

The opening quarter note staccato chords aren't short enough for my taste.  Are you using an "UP" gesture?  I want to hear them played very crisp and quick, just my opinion.

Be sure to play as legato as possible (as much as you can WITHOUT pedal) where the slurs are marked.  This is difficult when your right hand has octaves (m. 35, 37, 39 etc.).  Try connecting the top notes of the octaves with fingers 5 and 4, or whatever fits the keys and your fingers. 

Middle lyrical section: listen to the 3rd left hand chord in each measure (beat 4).  Don't accent it or hold onto it.

m. 129-137 make sure you don't slow down here.  You're probably aware of this, but just work on keeping the same tempo as you lead up to it.

I enjoyed hearing you play this piece! Great job!   ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert