Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Brahms, Rhapsody Op. 119, No. 4  (Read 7282 times)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Brahms, Rhapsody Op. 119, No. 4
on: July 04, 2006, 09:29:13 PM
Brahms sometimes composed piano works orchestrally rather than pianistically, despite the fact that he was an accomplished pianist (although he became sloppy in his late years due to little or no practicing).  This rhapsody presents the pianist with a good challenge.

Update: I deleted the CD cut (42 downloads) and replaced it with the original tape recording for better fidelity. 
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline fnork

• PS Silver Member
Re: Brahms, Rhapsody Op. 119, No. 4
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 10:42:55 PM
I only managed to listen to the first minute, sorry, but I couldn't stand the sound of the piano - it sounds very strange and it's hardly pleasant to listen to. I can't comment on the whole piece, but the part I heard was very "beaty" in some parts and overall a bit too slow for my taste. Can't you make a better quality recording? If you will, I promise to listen to it :)

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 10:50:55 PM
Part of the problem is the sound of the recording.  I listened to both your Brahms rhapsodies, and I think you did quite well on Op 79, but on this one you should do much, much  more!

You accented the downbeats as directed, but there is way too much accenting and no direction to the phrases.  Think beautiful phrasing throughout.  This is a very hard piece to pull together. 

In the "grazioso" section, make it grazioso.  Note the melody is legato, and must be heard, all the other stuff is filigree.

Keep up the good work--
Teresa

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 11:03:23 PM
Hi fnork and teresa,

The problem was that when I recorded Op. 79, it was on very inexpensive equipment, so the recording itself is the problem.  The sonics are not great, I agree, and the higher frequencies tended to get clipped along with soft notes in the treble, some of which are very important.  I hesitated before posting it for that reason.  I think Op. 119 has much better fidelity overall.  Thanks, Theresa, for your constructive criticism on 79, even though you had to suffer through the poor fidelity!  By the way, in listening to recordings, I've often found that I can acclimate fairly quickly, and then the music comes through regardless.  It's probably the same for you.  On 119, I don't think I lived with that piece long enough to really establish a more advanced concept of performing it.  I'll go back to it some day and keep your advice in mind.

David
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 11:08:30 PM
Please don't think I'm being too critical, as I said, I am impressed by what you can play! 

I am an old lady ( ;D) and have played a number of these Brahms pieces for years--They definitely get better and better with age.  So do go back and back to them, you'll find new depths every time you revisit.

Have fun!
Teresa

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 11:12:40 PM
theresa,  I guarantee you, you're probably not as old as I!   :)

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 12:00:37 AM
Well, we must be a couple of the rare Methusela's on this site!   ;)

Teresa

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 12:15:42 AM
I think you're right, haha!  :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert