Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Brahms, Rhapsody Op. 79, No. 2  (Read 7606 times)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Brahms, Rhapsody Op. 79, No. 2
on: July 04, 2006, 10:09:05 PM
While the Rhapsody Op. 119, No. 4 is more orchestral, the Op. 79 Rhapsody is more pianistic for the performer in my opinion.  NOTE:  This is an older recording done on inexpensive equipment, so the sonics are not very good. 

Update:

I deleted the CD cut (41 downloads) and replaced it with the original tape recording for better fidelity.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Re: Brahms, Rhapsody Op. 79, No. 2
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 10:56:35 PM
I liked this one better!  :)  Do observe all Brahms' markings--I don't hear the ritardando in meas. 4, for example.  Your marcato passages are very nice--Work on beautiful legato in the "espressivo" parts, and make it flow somewhere.

I would say, do more of everything--more misterioso, more pp and ppp, more climactic where it says molto crescendo to ff. 

Have fun--I notice you post a great deal of music!  I'm impressed with your repertoire.

Teresa

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Brahms, Rhapsody Op. 79, No. 2
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 11:17:53 PM
Hi teresa,

All good suggestions!  It really means "exhaust the score", as we all like to say.   I recall when I was studying the misterioso section, the way to convey it best was to keep it so quiet and mysterious that it would force the audience to walk up on the stage to figure out what was going on at the piano.   Sometimes mental images like that can be really helpful in conveying a mood.  Thanks again for being so helpful.

David
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert