Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven Pathetique  (Read 3514 times)

Offline blu217

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven Pathetique
on: August 02, 2006, 10:04:02 PM
I'm considering returning to school after 12 years for a master's degree in piano. This clip is from my undergraduate recital back then.

It is absolutely imperfect; I was managing raging performance anxiety at that time (when I did this recital I had become so fearful a performer that I almost always declined to play publicly for anyone, anywhere--I'd probably have tried to skip the recital had it not been required to graduate!) and general ambivalence about my real goals as a pianist; tho I put in my time, I was not one to practice for endless hours to perfect my pieces--you can hear all of that here.

Twelve years later I'm truly missing the piano and have been seriously considering reworking my recital pieces with an instructor to prepare a master's audition. I still manage performance anxiety (these days I play guitar and sing with bands, but it's MUCH easier all around) but maturity and time have made me ready to clean up and evolve my technique, and possibly move from my day job as a journalist and begin a teaching/lecturing career.

I'd be interested in your thoughts and feedback, both on the piece and my goals.

Thanks,
Blu

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven Pathetique
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 10:21:38 PM
I'm listening to it right now, and it sounds good. Some wrong notes, and your nerves come through a bit in the recording...but I'm not bothered too much by the wrong notes because your rhythm is pretty good.

The more practice you have performing, the more comfortable you'll feel in front of an audience. I'm dealing with a similar problem with anxiety..

OK...maybe a few too many mistakes in the 3rd mvt.... ;D but I think you def have talent.  8)

Good luck in music school.

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 01:21:40 PM
Nice touch, absolutely beautifull. You did very well even if you where nervous ;D All movements are gorgeous

Offline blu217

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 03:56:13 PM
Thank you, Jakev2.0 and piano121 for listening, and for the encouraging words! I truly appreciate the honest feedback from fellow pianists. It's just such a huge help.  :)

Blu

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 12:24:59 AM
Hi blu,

Very nice!  You can obviously articulate very well, and nerves may have caused you a little trouble, but it was overall lovely.  (I am forgiving of nervous mistakes, as I'm the Queen of them.  :D

If you would like a suggestion, I would say, play the second movement a little less "straight" and with more rubato in the RH melody line. 

Good luck--You have lots of talent and you'll do great!
Teresa

Offline falcon1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 01:30:16 AM
blu217,

nice one!

Alot of beautifully articulated passages and nice power on right places. :) I agree with Teresa that the 2nd movement needed little more singing but nicely done nevertheless. I would have done it also little tiny bit slower as main tempo, but this movement needs SINGING. :)

One thing you "forgot" is those beautiful melodies which are often hidden in the bass and middle voices. It was specially noticable in the bass. But believe me many young pianists overlook those additional gems in the music. :)

In short - Keep on playing!!!

Offline terry_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 12:46:56 AM
I'm not sure if you are still there, but I think it's beautiful. So what happened????
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert