Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Volodos Turkish March!  (Read 8726 times)

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Volodos Turkish March!
on: August 26, 2006, 04:04:05 AM
My first audition... Just can't wait for the crap i'm going to get.    ;D

btw, I am not finished with this peice yet so I did have to make my own ending, and I noticed I rushed sometimes, just never when I am playing.

i'm not asian

Offline jre58591

• PS Silver Member
Re: Volodos Turkish March!
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 05:14:50 AM
haha there seems to be a lot going on in the background. ive heard everything from whistling to clanging of plates. also seems that you altered a few parts and made some thirds into double notes. keep working on those. it sounds l;ike you have the chops to pull of this piece. all my musical tastes and such aside, it sounded pretty good. you have some potential here.  just get it all to a fixed tempo, add in the appropriate parts, and iron out a few parts technique-wise. also, judging from your tastes, consider adding some less virtuosic music to your repertoire. i hate to tell you this, but you cant have a recital composed entirely of encores done by volodos and horowitz. overall, very good. keep working at it.
Please Visit: https://www.pianochat.co.nr
My YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jre58591

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 05:30:58 AM
My first audition... Just can't wait for the crap i'm going to get.    ;D

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=353E432813882E7C

btw, I am not finished with this peice yet so I did have to make my own ending, and I noticed I rushed sometimes, just never when I am playing.

I really find it quite amazing that you can play this at the same time turning on the tap and filling a glass of water, while also caring on a whispered conversation.  Skillz..

Ok more seriously, this is a good start.  I'd first iron out the tempo fluctuations.  Especially from the end of the middle section when you transition into descending octaves you can really tell there is a tempo difference.  Play the whole thing at a steady tempo. 

BTW, have you tried using Audacity to record?  It will let you compress your file to an mp3 so you can just attach it to your post.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 01:32:30 PM
I think the whisting in the backround was my pet bird... he's dead now. And I usually only play one encore per recital. I don't just play these trancriptions even though they are my favorite
i'm not asian

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 01:50:30 PM
  I'd first iron out the tempo fluctuations.  Especially from the end of the middle section when you transition into descending octaves you can really tell there is a tempo difference.  Play the whole thing at a steady tempo. 

well, the ending run is actually my own run, so who says those last descending octaves are at the same speed?     ;D
i'm not asian

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 05:19:19 PM
is this the "mp3"? it better have worked   :P
i'm not asian

Offline soderlund

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 07:14:06 PM
Very good! You seem like a very talented pianist. I had never heard this version before, but it sounds a lot more difficult than the version I played. Very good I think :)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 08:09:27 PM
well, the ending run is actually my own run, so who says those last descending octaves are at the same speed?     ;D

No not the coda.  There it is ok to intensify.

I'm talking about when you transition from the B section back to the A section. In your restatement of the A section (before coda) is where I heard the most tempo fluctuations. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 03:36:07 PM
How can you play that ???
You have gold in your fingers. Please post it again on a decent piano  ;D.
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline dnephi

Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 03:41:10 PM
What are your practicing techniques for handling tricky passagework?  (I have not heard it, I have no clue how he is playing)
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 03:49:06 PM
i don't know what my technique is like or even how to tell, I wasn't really ever taught that, I just find ways to play the notes.   :-\
i'm not asian

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 07:07:04 PM
i don't know what my technique is like or even how to tell, I wasn't really ever taught that, I just find ways to play the notes.   :-\
that's the way - are you jemboy? your profile leads to that as your webpage - so cant you already play the whole thing? ;)
Tom
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 07:34:08 PM
No, I'm not Jemboy... Why would he lie about not being able to play the whole thing?  Randomly, my profile leads to his page, plus i think his playing is cool!    8)
i'm not asian

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 08:34:01 PM
I think the whisting in the backround was my pet bird... he's dead now.

Confess! You shot him because he disturbed your recording session. No wait... I've heard it at the end of the clip: you strangled him. tssttsssss!! *shakes head*And that after he had made so much effort to hit the exact pitch. You should have fed him for this!

Ok back to topic. You are dealing well with that piece. I just missed the octaves in the last part. I guess only Volodos himself can play these ;), but if you play it as an encore, why not make up your own ending? This ending though should be worked out more then. You seem to have a very relaxed wrist technique in all these left hand polonaise-like accompaniments. I like your playing, it's fast and virtuoso. Others have mentioned the tempo changings already. So I wish you goood luck for the performance!

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 12:10:39 AM
i played octaves in the last part, but just repeatedly played an e   ;)
i'm not asian

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 05:00:26 AM
haha funny. I like this sorta piano sound, especially for ragtime.  I think you've pushed the capability of this suffering piano to the limit. Lightened up my day :) I especially like your improvised whistling break out... lol
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 05:10:59 AM
I think you've pushed the capability of this suffering piano to the limit.

your right, it's so much easier to play this on a better piano
i'm not asian

Offline beanman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 10:00:24 PM
whats the difference between thirds and double notes?

Offline beanman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: September 03, 2006, 10:09:41 PM
good performance though, I dont think the tempo chenges are much of a problem its quite fun to hear you just double the speed halfway through.

i like the way your left hand bounces around at the post halfway repeate of the main theme but try to bring out the held note more it sounds astonishing like that.

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 10:28:17 PM
hey neatly-done lau :P   wow

how long did it take you to learn all in all with getting to up to that tempo?
"We can never know what to want, because, living only one life, we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come."

Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Offline mkaykov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 10:36:22 PM
I think this is very clean and polished playing. The double notes are very even and legato. As for the tempo fluctations, I don't find anything wrong with them. This transcription can be played like an improvisation - and your own ending is great - very much like Horowitz.

so, my only dislike is the quality of the recording and the piano used. Maybe you can come to my house, and use my Yamaha C3 to record? ;)

Offline jre58591

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 10:37:37 PM
i dont think you want to go to trumofo's house...
Please Visit: https://www.pianochat.co.nr
My YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jre58591

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 10:46:58 PM
if you liked that, then you should see how i play it now. that recording is like 8 months old.
i'm not asian

Offline rach n bach

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 10:57:50 PM
Well... POST A NEW ONE LAU!!!  This one is great, even if I can hear the dishes being washed in the backround...  Nice work!

RnB
I'm an optimist... but I don't think it's helping...

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 11:29:12 PM
i made a video of myself, but i have the tape and now the video camera is gone and i don't know how to get it on here. and there isn't a recording program thing on my computer anymore...and the sound quality makes me barf. well see.
i'm not asian

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 05:21:20 AM
I actually dig this, lau. I thought it would be crap based on your chat comments, but it is actually an exciting little performance. You've got potential, kid. ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert