Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: is there an internet forum for aspiring composers?  (Read 2829 times)

Offline larry larson

• PS Silver Member
is there an internet forum for aspiring composers?
on: October 04, 2006, 02:51:14 PM
Howdy folks,
Does anyone know of any internet forums where a person can post their compositions and get input from other people?  In this forum the interest  seems to be in pieces people play written by well known composers, so it may not be the right place for what I need...  thanks in advance...   Larry
Baldwin Hamilton

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member

Offline leucippus

• PS Silver Member
Re: is there an internet forum for aspiring composers?
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 06:12:10 PM
I'd like to see Music Theory as a main forum instead of a child forum under "Students".

And then Composing could be a child forum under Music Theory. (or possibly just the opposite with Composing being the main, and Music Theory being the child to that one)

That's the way I'd do it.  After all, Music Theory isn't just for students.

The topic of Composing seems to be lacking a forum here, yet I see quite a few questions about composing scattered about in all the other forums.

I have a keen interest in composing myself.

Not to imply that I'm losing my composure!  ;D

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 06:23:20 PM
hmm,I think theory should be a smaller board under composition, myself, because without composition, there would have never been any theorists =)

Offline leucippus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 07:29:34 PM
hmm,I think theory should be a smaller board under composition, myself, because without composition, there would have never been any theorists =)

Sounds good to me.    I'm not really concerned about the hierarchy.  I don't see child forums as being "lesser important" or dependent on the main forums anyway.

Music Theory is hardly depends on students either. :D

I can see why it was put there as a child forum though.   It's assumed that students would be interested in learning music theory.  However, teachers may wish to discuss how to teach music theory too so it could have just as easily be a child to the Teacher's Forum.

I just think that both Composing, and Music Theory, are topics that would be of interest to everyone, not necessarily just students.   But I would also think that they would be closely related.  By that, I mean that I think most composers would be interested in music theory, and people who are interested in music theory might also be inclined to take a stab at composing.

In any case, I think there should be a Composing Forum no matter where they actually put it.  And it just seems to me that music theory should be easily accessible to that forum.  I actually see no problem with having two Music Theory forums.  Perhaps one as a child to the Student Corner Forum, and one as a child to a Composing Forum.  I say this because students may have question about learning music theory, whilst composers may have more advanced questions concerning various aspects of how to apply music theory, or use it analytically.

Just my thoughts.

I would be very happy to see a Composing Forum so this thread holds interest for me.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert