Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Bach -- English Suite in G minor-- Gigue and Partita in Bb - Prelude  (Read 11274 times)

Offline davidz

• PS Silver Member

Hello all,

These pieces (like my previous tracks) were recorded on a Charles Walter grand piano at my friend's house in Allentown, PA.  I hope you like them.

Regards,
David Z.

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Wow! very very good recordings. You play Bach very well! very good interpretation. Very clear, nice articulation. Also you manage to play nice dinamics, the voices are clear. In my opinion you got all that is important for Bach covered here. Love the legato playing you did so well in the Prelude. I´m very pleased with this recording. The sound quality is just like professional, I like the piano to.

Thanks for you kind coment on my Mozart. I certainly would by a CD if you put your bach on it! ;D

and you are welcome to record more nice stuff you have on your repertoire and post it here!

Offline ozzy

• PS Silver Member
I like it a lot, David! Very enjoyable!
If you´re an amateur you´re a damned good one thats for sure! If not, I still very much admire your Bach play as a colleague....
A few strange kind-of-fermatas in the prelude, and a tiny bit more spirit in the gigue (question of tempo?) but otherwise...let us please hear some more of your playing!

Offline glk

• PS Silver Member
David:

Wonderful performances!  Nice combination of articulation, touch, phrasing.  I'd love to hear play portions of the WTC, since I'm more familiar with them.

Best,

Gary K

Offline davidz

• PS Silver Member

Thanks, you all have made my day here ...   :)

I have a bunch more tracks where these came from, but not all of them are quite up to the standard I'd like for this discerning audience.  My friend has offered to do some software "enhancements" after the fact, but I feel that would be cheating.  I have been and will continue to post only unedited recordings (though I'm not above doing multiple takes for some of them  ;) ).

Anyway, my next recording session will probably be in late January, so hang in there and I'll try to contribute some more pieces.  If you have any specific requests let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Regards,
davidz

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
wow.  i played that gigue, and i thought i was getting really good - but yours surpasses mine by a mile.  i think it is the restraint that you show in playing bach.  it really isn't overdone.  it's easy to get carried away with bach and put in too much 'emotion.'  it's not really 'emotional' - it's more 'spiritual' right?  it's the essence of something.  it's as though he is contemplating something real and describing it with music.  it's mathematic.  and yet, it's beautiful, too. 

when too much 'lust' is put into bach's music - it loses something.  i do not think you overpedal AT ALL.  i think it sounds very typical of the sounds of a harpsichord here -with occasional pedalling or finger pedalling.

Offline bachfan87

• PS Silver Member
I love the gigue it was amazing!
I thought maybe the partita could have been a bit faster, just a tiny bit. Your articulation was beautiful though. I guess the only other thing that would have been nice to hear would be more dynamics in the prelude...you know, not a whole lot, but just a little more.
Oh, and your tempo is so nice and steady!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert