Piano Forum

Topic: Medtner: Skazka in B-flat minor Op.20 No.1  (Read 3370 times)

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Medtner: Skazka in B-flat minor Op.20 No.1
on: October 19, 2006, 03:52:59 AM
My Pianostreet debut. Not error-free, but I think I preserved the gist of the piece.

Phil

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Re: Medtner: Skazka in B-flat minor Op.20 No.1
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 04:19:05 AM
  I did'nt like , could'nt feel the beat, not sure what you were trying to express, lack of dynamic range and color. there was very little in your playing that was intresting, also your piano sounds like a honky tonk. other than that the notes were played,and it sounded like you tryd your best.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline jre58591

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 04:34:25 AM
its nice to finally see some medtner in here! hes really underrepresented here at pianostreet. you really seem to have a good grasp of the concept of the piece. however, your playing doesnt seem very confident in some areas, and it sounds a little choppy sometimes. however, that climax was very good, and you did play it "with desperation", as medtner notes.spend a little more time on it to iron out the kinks and to make your playing a bit more confident. and yeah, that piano just sounds horrible haha.
Please Visit: https://www.pianochat.co.nr
My YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jre58591

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 07:37:16 AM
Some wrong notes. Good phrasing and tone and overall concept. Liked the rhythmic groove, in time but not metronomic. Would like to hear you "cut loose" a bit more. The last several bars seemed disinterested, very uninvolved. Overall, good work. I may play this piece on my next recital, if I do I'll post my interp when it's ready. 

The piano does not sound like a honky-tonk but it could use a tuning  ;D

=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 02:31:38 PM
Actually, it was tuned not but a few weeks ago. Every recording I have made on this piano (Yamaha upright) has sounded like it's badly out of tune for some reason.  :-\

Phil

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 04:57:59 PM
  I did'nt like , could'nt feel the beat, not sure what you were trying to express, lack of dynamic range and color. there was very little in your playing that was intresting, also your piano sounds like a honky tonk. other than that the notes were played,and it sounded like you tryd your best.

lol; someone's mad about his recording feedback. :P ;)

Phil- thanks for posting! It's quite cool- a little more work on it and you'll have an absolute winner, and it's pretty stunning already. :) Is it as difficult as it sounds? I'm looking for a good Medtner piece to try out...

-moz
[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 08:58:13 PM

Phil- thanks for posting! It's quite cool- a little more work on it and you'll have an absolute winner, and it's pretty stunning already. :) Is it as difficult as it sounds? I'm looking for a good Medtner piece to try out...

-moz

You're learning the Bach e minor toccata right? I think this would be at the right level for you. It's difficult, but much of it is musical difficulty.

Most of Medtner's works are quite difficult, both musically and technically, so this is a good piece for anyone to start with.  :)

Phil

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 09:49:03 PM
You're learning the Bach e minor toccata right? I think this would be at the right level for you. It's difficult, but much of it is musical difficulty.

Most of Medtner's works are quite difficult, both musically and technically, so this is a good piece for anyone to start with.  :)

Phil

Ah, cool! I'll give it a look after I get my audition rep down, then. Thanks much! :)
[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert