Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven Op. 110, 1st movement  (Read 4820 times)

Offline capa

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven Op. 110, 1st movement
on: November 26, 2006, 02:35:34 AM
This is my first post.  I'm one who has "lurked" for a while.  This was recorded using a cheap microphone and audacity. 

It is most certainly a work in progress.  Please forgive the page turn mess up.   :-\

I would greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions for improvement.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven Op. 110, 1st movement
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 10:28:16 AM
I like your lyrical tone and approach in the beginning. M. 1 to 11 are very nice. In the part with the 32nd notes it sounds a little bit dry for me, but only a little bit. Some of the staccato notes might be played with a little more pedal. M. 20 and 21 are a little tiny bit out of balance imo, it would be nice if you had the same calmness and lyric state as in the first part there. M. 40 begins a long crescendo which falls back to a subito p. Same in m. 112.There are some more parts that sound a bit dry, like in the development section around 2.50. This is one of the typical Beethoven pedaling problems. One wants to keep the bass line clear, which makes the chords in the right hand sound to less legato. M. 78 you go forward instead of "ritenente" like Beethoven indicates. M. 84 and 85 as well as 25 and 26 for my taste the Apoggiatura notes should come in slightly later and therefore be  faster. M. 97: begin softer and do more crescendo. You should keep the first quarter note in m. 114 longer.
 I can hear that you have thought very much about this piece and you surely are about to develop your own personal Beethoven interpretation. I really like all your dolce parts. They sound like a declaration of love. I don't know your gender but if you were female and I would listen to you live- :-*

Offline capa

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven Op. 110, 1st movement
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 07:10:21 PM
Thank you, Pianowolfi, for your comments.  And for responding so quickly!  Wow!  Yes I am female.   :)   I will keep working on it and try out your suggestions also.  Maybe I can post another recording in another month or so.  Eventually I'll learn the entire sonata.  The fugue sure is hard for me though.  Thank you again for your comments!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert