Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven op. 111, Arietta  (Read 8110 times)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven op. 111, Arietta
on: December 03, 2006, 07:36:44 PM
Here is the second movement of Beethoven's sonata op. 111. I'm looking forward to your comments :)

Pianowolfi

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven op. 111, Arietta
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 07:43:03 PM
It's the 1st movement  ???
If it doesn't work - try something different!

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 08:08:47 PM
It's the 1st movement  ???

I apologize, it's fixed now. :P

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 09:46:19 PM
Yes, now that's the movement, I expected  :D

What came me to mind, when hearing this Arietta:

puh, so much reverb (from the room). That's totally disturbing for me. But that's a problem of the recording, not of your playing (except that you used this much pedal - I don't hope so)

In my opinion it was too fast right from the beginning and the crescendi were too dramatic on the first page - the tempo marking says Adagio, molto semplice  . The Boogie-part was played very nice  :D
Then the pp part too fast again and the rests were not audible, hopefully only because of the room acoustics.

Oh I forgot, generally I would shape the left hand more, not only accompanying but nearly as important as the soprano voice.

Nice trills!

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 10:43:40 PM
Yes, now that's the movement, I expected  :D

What came me to mind, when hearing this Arietta:

puh, so much reverb (from the room). That's totally disturbing for me. But that's a problem of the recording, not of your playing (except that you used this much pedal - I don't hope so)

In my opinion it was too fast right from the beginning and the crescendi were too dramatic on the first page - the tempo marking says Adagio, molto semplice  . The Boogie-part was played very nice  :D
Then the pp part too fast again and the rests were not audible, hopefully only because of the room acoustics.

Oh I forgot, generally I would shape the left hand more, not only accompanying but nearly as important as the soprano voice.

Nice trills!

Yes you're right about the reverb. It's the room. I was alone in a hall for 500 people with anyway difficult acoustics.
 I as well noticed the weakness of the left hand, when I listened again to it after 2 years now. The bass notes should come out more often. Strange, when i listened to it yesterday I thought the tempo was rather at the slow side, but ok, there are different interpretations. I like the thirty-second triplets a little veloce, leggiero, not too worming.

Thank you for taking time to listen and comment!

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 11:35:37 PM
Strange, when i listened to it yesterday I thought the tempo was rather at the slow side, but ok, there are different interpretations. I like the thirty-second triplets a little veloce, leggiero, not too worming.

You know, I like extreme slow tempi, often it can't be slow enough for me  :D

For me, the Arietta (what a strange name for such a piece!) has an aura of catacombs,
a creepy, anxious  atmosphere, no real life, and then this sudden wild  dance of the skeletons...     whoooooo... shudder...

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 11:52:27 PM
You know, I like extreme slow tempi, often it can't be slow enough for me  :D

For me, the Arietta (what a strange name for such a piece!) has an aura of catacombs,
a creepy, anxious  atmosphere, no real life, and then this sudden wild  dance of the skeletons...     whoooooo... shudder...

Yeah haha ;D that is one of the aspects. I think it's all about death somehow. The whole sonata. The heaven's aspect comes in too in the arietta, for me. The transition between life and another dimension. I like the name Arietta. Perhaps Beethoven wanted to say something special with giving that name to it?

Offline opus57

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 10:03:29 AM
Very nice played. You should know I'm a fan of fast tempi...

And the reverb isn't that horrible: your playing is a strong counterbalance  :)
Please click here...[/url]

Though you can do what you want, you can't want what you want. (indeed a very confusing truth)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 01:39:04 PM
very heartfelt playing.  it makes one feel the weight of whatever is 'weighty.'  the tempo sounds 'ariettaish.'  i like how you express so much in the simplicity of beethoven's chordal scheme here.  great contrasts!

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 03:50:11 PM
Thank you both for listening and commenting :) Yeah it's been a while since I played that last time. I will refresh someday. Since I am in a process of redefining myself as an interpreter I am trying to grab everything new.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert