Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Drinking Song ("Brindisi") from La Traviata, "La Donna Mobile"from Rigoletto  (Read 10678 times)

Offline vladimirdounin

• PS Silver Member
This is an attachment to my posts "I am free - you are NOT" in "PERFORMANCE" and "AUDITION ROOM". I did not want to put them here because of my "slipped notes" (sorry) but I have to answer the question of my fully respected opponent.

I listened to your examples of this left/right dichotomy mentioned in the quote. While changing the beat from time to time has its place and does make music more interesting when used sparingly, is it not true that there is a natural rhythm that occurs that makes us feel comfortable and in sync with this rhythm?

In 3/4 time LOUD soft soft sounds natural for the rhythm of the waltz. The waltz would not 'glide' any other way!

I am sure  that "the waltz WOULD 'glide' other way"  as well. Please, listen to the melody (please, do not take the bass in consideration) - there are plenty of phrases with obviously LEFT accentuations. This is another proof of the fact that both (LEFT and RIGHT) accentuations are equally legal, absolutely NATURAL, and BOTH of them make us feel comfortable and in sync with the rhythm.
Vladimir Dounin

Offline allthumbs

Hi Vladimir

I enjoyed your playing. Well done!

My original reference to the natural rhythm of the waltz was dealing with the left hand regardless of what the right hand was doing, so maybe my explanation wasn't so clear. Your pieces had that waltz rhythm I refered to (in the left hand).

Of course I agree with you that "both (LEFT and RIGHT) accentuations are equally legal, absolutely NATURAL, and BOTH of them make us feel comfortable and in sync with the rhythm."

Your interpretations were very good.

Thanks for posting them.

Cheers

allthumbs

Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Offline dichu_li

• PS Silver Member
THE PERFORMANCES WERE BRILIANT!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert