Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin op.10 no.1 (VIDEO)  (Read 7962 times)

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Chopin op.10 no.1 (VIDEO)
on: January 23, 2007, 09:49:21 PM
Hi all,

I am new and this is my first post.

Please comment on my playing this etude.

P.S.  A better quality mp3 file is attached also.

Regards,

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin op.10 no.1 (VIDEO)
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 10:13:47 PM
nice, I watched your youtube video I didnt feel like downloading it :)

It was nice, very fluent and you had really good technique. I hope you post more pieces soon.
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline elevateme

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 10:44:47 PM
imbetter wheres that ballade 1. you promised.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 02:55:08 PM
your playing has so much grace. It sounds perfect, as if a hand with thousand fingers is playing that  piano. You can be very proud of what you achieved :). It is one of my dreams to be as good as you ! wow respect

btw: do you play any other pieces :)?
"We can never know what to want, because, living only one life, we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come."

Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 04:34:41 PM
your playing has so much grace. It sounds perfect, as if a hand with thousand fingers is playing that  piano. You can be very proud of what you achieved :). It is one of my dreams to be as good as you ! wow respect

btw: do you play any other pieces :)?

Oh, thank you very much for these very nice words.
I wish, your dreams come true soon.

I play mostly classical, semiclassical (Beethoven, Brahms, etc) and romantic period pieces (Chopin, Liszt, Rachmaninoff etc.)

Nowadays I am trying to polish Chopin op.10 no.2 etude.  Hope I will post a recording of that too in a few weeks.

Regards,

Offline andersand

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 07:16:54 PM
It sure looks (and sounds) awesome :-) But as an ignorant, I wonder what the point of that piece was? Is there are hidden melody behind all those tones?

Offline daniel patschan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 05:57:44 PM
It sure looks (and sounds) awesome :-) But as an ignorant, I wonder what the point of that piece was? Is there are hidden melody behind all those tones?

What´s the point about Picasso´s "Guernica", it´s just a painting !

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 07:35:13 PM
it is an etude. check out this wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etude
I think the technique that this particular etude focuses on is pretty apparent...
Tom
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 09:13:54 PM

Well i think there is a hidden melody. It is quite simple. But also only the harmonic progressions of this piece are so fascinating to me, I even don't need more. Listen to the harmonic process and enjoy the feeling!

Offline lava

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 07:16:31 PM
Hi Hakki,

Very nice, good job! You have a good feeling of how it should sound. Good bass notes. However there are still some mishits in the right hand. Keep practising and you will get better.

Sure this etude is extremely difficult to play perfectly. 

On YouTube there's a video of me playing the same piece, somewhat slower and less fluent. Just a spontaneous 1-take recording without any preparation (usually i play it muuuch better  ;))  :
. And it has an annoying background sound  :(

Lava

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 07:56:00 PM

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 09:31:05 PM
Just to remind that both the video and the high quality mp3 file are copyrighted. ;)

So please, use them only for personal purposes (no commercial use allowed) ;D

Regards,

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 09:36:42 PM
Pretty inaccurate. How could you be satisfied with such a sloppy performance?

Offline lava

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 12:14:47 AM
(no commercial use allowed)
Don't worry, we won't. ;D

Offline emmdoubleew

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 01:06:18 AM
Just to remind that both the video and the high quality mp3 file are copyrighted.

So please, use them only for personal purposes (no commercial use allowed)

Regards,

By submitting the User Submissions to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the YouTube Website and YouTube's (and its successor's) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the YouTube Website (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the YouTube Website a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Website, and to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such User Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Website and under these Terms of Service.

Whew, for a second there I was scared I wasn't going to be able to sell your video on the black market and make millions of dollars. Thank god I can do it as long as I affiliate myself with youtube.

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 06:13:05 PM
Pretty inaccurate. How could you be satisfied with such a sloppy performance?

I disagree. Let's say a few inaccuracies here and there.

I am not a perfectionist, though who said I am satisfied.
Read my post on you tube. I already mentioned I hope to post a faster and cleaner version.

(meanwhile beware the copyright  ;D)

Regards,

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 09:40:17 PM
Since that jake has said Good bye to this forum, everyone is invited to see this performance an judge freely.

Regards,

PS. Please listen to the mp3 file since youtube video sound is not good at all.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 09:55:50 PM
i humbly recind my feeble attempts at the chopin etude op 10 #4.  although, the fact that jake insulted you, too, somehow makes me feel better.  ? i think he'll be back.  he's probably practicing finally.  it's easy to criticize - but harder to do.

i think your playing is fantastic.  different techniques than i'm learning - with the lh for instance - i was told to play with flatter hand and more relaxed.  but, whatever works!  for me - i have to really work at relaxing - and it helps me achieve a long-term feeling that i can play forever.  you probably do, too - it's just that my teacher always points out high wrists.  maybe this piece is an exception to that rule?  interesting how everyone plays differently - but not necessarily a bad thing if they are relaxed in their approach.  yours didn't sound tense.  very fluid!

Offline cygnusdei

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 10:10:32 PM
Is this a yamaha clavinova?

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 10:19:33 PM
Is this a yamaha clavinova?

No, it is a Roland HP107e Digital Piano.
What made you think that it was a Yamaha?

Regards,

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 09:17:32 PM
I hadn't checked awhile but the video has well passed 1000 views. :)

pianistimo, thanks for the kind words. My right hand stays relaxed throughout the etude  but, I intentionally play the left hand octaves  firmly, which I think is better suited for this etude.

Regards,

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 10:19:28 PM
I'm distributing your performance on a CD entitled "young Maurizio Pollini". I'm making hella cash...hope you're not upset, cuz I mean your performance is that incredible.

Offline cygnusdei

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 10:35:14 PM
Did you at least have the decency to do a little time stretching?

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 10:39:25 PM
Not at all jakev2.1  ;) enjoy the cash!

Offline anastazia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 12:52:02 PM
woaah, that was amazing! what technique!!
you have such a clear sound too. i like the way you have good technical skills, but at the same time you put forth feeling and sensitivity into the piece...very good combo!
~anastazia

Offline lazlo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: March 03, 2007, 10:10:10 PM
I'm distributing your performance on a CD entitled "young Maurizio Pollini". I'm making hella cash...hope you're not upset, cuz I mean your performance is that incredible.

Jake,

please stop being a complete jerk... just in general. It isn't mature. It doesn't make you sophisticated. And it doesn't mean you can play piano better than these various people you insult. Honesty is one thing, and being a bitter jerk is something else. There are ways to be constructive in criticism.... There is also destructive criticism. Just please try really hard to grow up for all of us.

I enjoyed the performance very much.

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: March 03, 2007, 10:44:30 PM
please stop being a complete jerk... just in general. It isn't mature. It doesn't make you sophisticated. And it doesn't mean you can play piano better than these various people you insult. Honesty is one thing, and being a bitter jerk is something else. There are ways to be constructive in criticism.... There is also destructive criticism. Just please try really hard to grow up for all of us.

Hi there, Lazlo.

I can think of two reasons why someone would post their recordings online for everyone to hear:

1. To receive advice on how to improve their performance
2. To receive praise for their accomplishment

Its clear that the poster of this recording does not want advice on how to improve his performance. He wants praise. Some of the patterns in his performance are very well done; however, the majority contain wrong notes. I think the rhythm and tempo are good and he has the potential to play this piece much much better.  That's why I am baffled as to why he did not take the time to get the piece accurate up to speed.  I think he is arrogant and deluded to a) believe his sloppy performance is beyond criticism b) believe he deserves more than the three stars it received (see his comments on Youtube) and c) worry that someone would actually attempt to gain profit through the distribution of his less-than-inspiring performance.

You are definitely right that being a critic in no way entails proficiency in the area I critique...but I could care less what you think / believe about me. I have studied the piano for less than three years (incidentally, simultaneously with achievement of IB diploma and pursuit of university study).  I have memorized Opus 10/1 within the last two months and am in the process of having it up to the standard I want. Since I 1) do not want advice on my 10/1 (I know what I need to do to improve it) and 2) do not want praise, I will not post it on the internet. As soon as I post my playing on the internet, I have agreed that I am prepared to receive criticism for it. I consider the posting of one's playing on the internet to be a very important, personal decision.

As critical as I am of others, I am far more critical of myself.  I am not jealous of these people - on the contrary...I am embarrassed for them in that they are satisfied with less than their best. They are only fooling themselves.

If you think I am being mean by criticizing arrogance/ignorance...imagine how mean I would be if I started calling people untalented (for the record, I do think Hakki is talented). Also, notice how I have NEVER harshly critiqued anyone who wants advice on how to improve their playing - 99% of the time its when I'm told rubbish is gold.

Offline lazlo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: March 04, 2007, 12:50:14 AM
Nobody cares about your elistist beliefs or why you post what you do. Just STOP.

Stop being the piano forum "police" evaluating peoples motivations for posting stuff and then proceeding to post whatever you think is the opposite of whatever you think they want to hear. It's supposed to be a SUPPORTIVE community. This entails that we SUPPORT each other, not tear each other down.

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: March 04, 2007, 02:58:37 AM
At the end of the day whose advice is more valuable: Your positive but generic remark? ...Or criticism that will likely get the poster to actually think?

Anyway, your replies were quite hostile and devoid of any point.

PS: DEEZ NUTZ.

Offline elevateme_returns

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: March 04, 2007, 09:24:36 PM
woaah, that was amazing! what technique!!
you have such a clear sound too. i like the way you have good technical skills, but at the same time you put forth feeling and sensitivity into the piece...very good combo!
~anastazia

eh? i dont think so
elevateme's joke of the week:
If John Terry was a Spartan, the movie 300 would have been called "1."

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: March 13, 2007, 10:37:11 PM
Jake,

I agree with Jake. Why put something on the internet if it's not perfect? And why take offense when someone say's something bad about it? 

I agree with everything jake said in his long post. If people look for advice on a piece they accept peoples opinions.

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: March 13, 2007, 11:41:17 PM
hmmm this was good
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: March 20, 2007, 11:36:34 PM
This is such a live forum. My first post has passed the 1000 views mark. :)
Yet, I don't feel as comfortable as before, about putting 10/2 on the net.

Regards,

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: March 21, 2007, 10:20:12 AM
Congratulations!

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: March 21, 2007, 07:28:05 PM
This is such a live forum. My first post has passed the 1000 views mark. :)
Yet, I don't feel as comfortable as before, about putting 10/2 on the net.

Regards,

most of us would appreciate it. Just some people are either jealous or snobbish about their playing.
Tom
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: March 22, 2007, 12:47:01 AM
If anyones jealous I salute them  ;)

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: April 01, 2007, 05:51:26 PM
Thanks, for the encouragement, but after reading the thread about it at Performance forum  :o, I better work on 10/2 more.

Regards,

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: April 03, 2007, 07:22:48 PM
Starts good, but from second page to end you make far too many mistakes. So youll have to force yourself to play it alot slower but more accurate, tempo will come like the first page.
Dynamics i cant say much about. The fact that i didnt hear any dynamics can also be because of the recording, maybe.

Good luck and dont rush it.

Gyzzzmo
1+1=11

Offline phil39

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: April 06, 2007, 12:21:59 AM
a bit harsh from gizzmo i felt. i'll criticize you on a concert pianist level (i'm sure thats what you want to be compared to as you are obviously somewhere not a million miles from that). i'm conservatoire qualified but not concert pianist level, but trying my damnest to get there, but you are probably slightly closer than i am judging by that performance :)
a few 'splashes', but that's all they are, you get round the notes pretty well, and you don't seem very far from accomplishing a professional performance of it. just needs a bit more control of detail - full command and evenness of fingers.  personally, in my own struggles, i think i've discovered the secret is keeping a constant relaxed arm weight over semi-quaver runs (whether it's arpeggios or scales, bach, mozart or chopin). and i mean over every single note . easier said than done, if you try it slowly, it's very revealing..amazing how you find some notes either 'dissapearing' or being too 'bumpy', even when you play it adagio. so if you're notg etting them all smooth and even at a slow speed they are not gonna be right at full speed. but if you nail it at slow speed it can come very soon at full speed.

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: April 23, 2007, 07:04:38 PM
Concert level! Thanks phil39. I am just an amateur, I am really flattered by that.
Anyway, good info, I will try to follow your suggestions on slow practicing.

Regards,

Hakki.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert