Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: chopin prelude #4 and #7  (Read 5739 times)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
chopin prelude #4 and #7
on: February 02, 2007, 03:51:43 AM
#4 #7

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: chopin prelude #4 and #7
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 03:53:09 AM

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 02:36:53 AM
No. 4: The thing I liked best about your rendition is that, where this prelude is a mini-etude, you played the long line of the soaring bel canto melody beautifully.  Even more importantly, you played the LH accompanying chords in a way to emphasize their ever changing variable voicing, bringing out each difference as one group of chords is altered in the next group.  Sometimes the variation occurs in the top of the chord, the middle voice, or the bottom.  And that was the whole point of the mini-etude.  You demonstrated a fine technique there.  Good job!

No 7 in A is the most difficult of the 24.  It is one of those pieces that looks so simplistic on paper, but in reality is treacherous, and leaves the pianist exposed in performing it every time.  There is no place to hide in this piece.  (It reminds me of how Anton Rubinstein insisted, when auditioning prospective students, that they play Mendelssohn's Songs without Words for him, and skip the virtuosic pieces.  That's how he judged their musicianship.)  I mentioned before that this Prelude in A humbles everyone in their quest for perfection, never quite attaining it here, no matter how many times they perform this prelude in their lifetimes. 

The one criticism I would mention is that you seem not to hold the half-note chords to their full value, so they sound clipped to the point of nearly being quarter notes--which surprised me, because I consider you to be an expert's expert when it comes to rhythm.  I point to your Scarlatti renditions to prove my point.  (I don't dare play those sonatas.)  So what's up with the half notes here?
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 02:53:16 AM
dear rachfan,

thank you, actually, for pointing out the things i need to work on.  it really does help a lot!  i will work on holding out those half notes.  i  like to jest - but seriously - you are helping me think about these things.   :-*  susan

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 03:09:38 AM
You're entirely welcome!  Some things you'll accept and some you'll reject, and that's as it should be.

David
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 03:22:45 AM
I forgot, if you want my attempts at these, here they are. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert