Piano Forum

Topic: Beethoven - Pathetique Sonata Movt. 2  (Read 3569 times)

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven - Pathetique Sonata Movt. 2
on: February 04, 2007, 11:02:56 AM
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven - Pathetique Sonata Movt. 2
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 12:25:50 AM
Hi Tompilk,

Sounds like you have this piece pretty well in your fingers now.  You also show a good control of the various touches.  Your continuity is fine too.  A small mistake does not distract you at all.  Good!

Just a few suggestions:

Look carefully at the way the score is written.  It could very well pass as a piano transcription of a string quartet!  So you need to think of it as a string quartet, and emulate the violin, viola, and deeper cello sounds on the piano as best you can.  It also means that you need to pay a lot of attention to phrasing, which would be like the bowing on stringed instruments.  A singing, smooth legato line is so very, very important in this piece.

Also be aware that while you play that singing melody, there is a great deal of accompaniment going on in both the LH and the RH.  Right now in your performance, often the accompaniment sounds as loud as the melody.  Work at quieting the accompaniment down considerably.  The melody has to be in the foreground, or way out front on stage; the accompaniment should be in the background, or way to the rear of the stage.

Finally, I suggest you take the score away from the piano with a pencil.  Look at all the dynamic markings.  Circle them to call your eye and attention to them.  Fill in crescendo and diminuendo marks with your pencil to make them stand out on the page for you.  Then practice and play them accordingly.  Right now, there is not nearly enough dynamic contrast. 

I think if you can just concentrate on these three things for now, it will raise your performance to a whole new level.  Again, good work!

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline instromp

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven - Pathetique Sonata Movt. 2
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 12:26:20 AM
To add from what from RachFan had said, i made this thread a while ago because i was struggling on bringing out the top notes in this mvmt of the Sonata.

look here form what Steve posted, it helped me a lot.

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,23048.msg256437.html#msg256437
the metranome is my enemy

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert