Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Schulz Evler - Blue Danube  (Read 3234 times)

Offline sjskb

• PS Silver Member
Schulz Evler - Blue Danube
on: February 08, 2007, 07:41:30 AM
Hi,

This is up due to Pianistimo's request. I initially don't want to post this, mainly because I do not think very highly of it.

Hope you guys enjoy it nonetheless...

cheers, sjskb

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schulz Evler - Blue Danube
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 10:55:24 AM
You have high standards. For the vast part, the performance is technically precise and controlled. As with the previous recordnig, I like your use of rubato.

What did jump straight out at me, however, was that on, for example, the first page, you do not get anything like the lovely watery texture acheived by, for example, Bolet. In fairness, I think it should be said that quite a few "name" pianists active nowadays would probably not be able to get that texture either. I assume that this was done on the same piano as the Fledermaus - it is definitely on the bright side and, as with the previous recording, I would prefer a more mellow, rounded sound.

I think it would be churlish to be overly critical, especially when you have already stated that you do not think very highly of the recording. Again, I think it is worth reiterating that you obviously work with high standards in mind.

Thanks for posting this and Fledermaus; I look forward to hearing more recordings.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline dabbler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 12:28:31 PM
Charming! Thanks for posting, I enjoyed it a lot. The sound is a tiny bit on the aggressive side at times, but as ronde_des_sylphes said, that's a problem of the piano. And as you didn't want to upload it, you probably know all the things you want to improve. So I just say, don't be too critical with yourself at such a high level of pianism and keep posting! (I also enjoyed your Fledermaus)

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 01:01:54 PM
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Wow, that was reallllllly goooood      *gasping for breath*
If it doesn't work - try something different!

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 04:36:34 PM
dear sjskb,

thanks SO much for  posting this.  it's so fun to listen to.  thanks!!!!!!!! susan

i love your humorous way of playing.  i've always heard it so serious.  i'm kind of endeared to your way.

Offline sjskb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 12:03:43 AM
dear sjskb,

thanks SO much for  posting this.  it's so fun to listen to.  thanks!!!!!!!! susan

i love your humorous way of playing.  i've always heard it so serious.  i'm kind of endeared to your way.

You're welcome.... hmmm, you've heard it played serious? that's an interesting comment...you mean you've heard amateurs play it or recordings by professionals?? to me, there's no way this piece can be serious!!!  ;D

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 01:04:03 AM
not so much rubato - and more 'straight' and just simply flowing.  but, when i heard your rendition - it brought a lot of personality to the piece.  yours is flowing, too, but with a bit more rubato here and there.

Offline sjskb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 03:25:32 PM
alright... yup, i agreed with the "flowing" part. I just wish it could be much lighter.... My touch is simply too heavy for a light-hearted dance... That's the main drawback i guess...

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 03:29:25 PM
it sounds like a very difficult piece.  i think it sound really beautiful.  i don't think anyone here could play it any better.  just like debussy - it will refine with age and you'll still play it better than anyone here.

ps when you go into the 'waltz' part - i DO hear you lighten up tremendously and it's so very cool. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert