Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: haydn sonata (Hob XVI:34)  (Read 20667 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
haydn sonata (Hob XVI:34)
on: February 14, 2007, 11:04:00 PM
1 movement of a haydn sonata (last mvmt of e minor)
Comments Welcomed

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: haydn sonata
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 12:10:53 AM
I love this sonata! You play very well. I would suggest to add more differences in dynamics.   
This music begins to live and to speak more with an improvisatory element for instance in the repeats. All these many many repeats in music like this make more sense if they are used as an opportunity to develop your own creativity in dynamics and ornamentation.     

Offline dabbler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 01:48:20 AM
This is perfect. You play with great evenness, clarity and elegance, and with a fine sense of humour. It sounds like a fully professional recording to me. I've been completely discarding Haydn so far (regarding piano music) because I thought they are like the Mozart sonatas, only more of them and not as good. I start to realize I should reconsider.... Probably pianowolfi is right that the many repetitions could be further enlivened with dynamic and agogic contrast, but I'm already happy with the fine nuances of contrast in your current playing. I think the movement not only has humour but is also a bit "mysterious", like an odd ghost dance. And the many repetitions also have something melancholic, like being trapped in some situation without getting out. Maybe this is rubbish, I don't know, but if you agree, it might be worth a try to convey the "ghost" feeling (or whatever else) in some passages (maybe some sudden mysterious pp, maybe even some una corda, or some knocking pulse in the bass). Well, it's great playing as it is! Was this professionally recorded, or did you use your own setup?

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 02:47:52 AM
this is so beautiful!  wow.  hope you keep posting.  this is really nicer than listening to the fm radio.  sounds closer and cleaner and your piano is so in tune!

Offline cygnusdei

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 04:50:46 AM
Very good! clap clap ....

This sounds like an upright to me ... please tell us also your recording equipment (mic, mixer, PC, etc.)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 01:11:29 PM
Thanks so much for your comments. i recoreded it on a small grand, a baby grand i guess at the church.  I dont know anything about equipment but a friend did it for free with his stuff (its a hobby) only thing I know is that he had a kick-drum mic under the piano, and a minidisc w/mike hanging from the balcony to capture room sound. two other mics on the piano, whch had the lid removed.
again thanks for the comments made me feel good because when I first listened to it i hated it!

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 09:29:39 PM
It is lovely!  I played this sonata in my (very long-ago  :)) student days, and you play it much better than I ever did.  Your clarity, nuance and wit is really great!  Very Haydnesque!

Teresa

Offline hakki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 07:40:28 PM
Again a beautifully played piece as your other recordings.
Thanks for sharing.
Please keep posting.

Regards,

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 12:59:09 AM
thanx... will try to post some new stuf here soon
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert