Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Etude no. 1 op. 10 - slowly  (Read 3442 times)

Offline reaper978

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Etude no. 1 op. 10 - slowly
on: February 15, 2007, 08:39:03 PM
Been working on this piece for about 3 or 4 months now.  Keep in mind that I've only been playing the piano for a year and a half.

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Etude no. 1 op. 10 - slowly
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 02:25:54 PM
omg? you play chopin etudes with 1 1/2 years  :o
"We can never know what to want, because, living only one life, we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come."

Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Offline xhunterjx

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 02:58:13 PM
im playing the op. 10 no. 5 and i have only been playing 1.5 years as well...i dont think it is as uncommon as people think, granted the student is dedicated to practice.

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 01:44:53 AM

Indeed, you can start them at any time! Iv been playing for two years and Iv looked at most of the etudes.

However, I would NEVER suggest that I could play any of them properly! I go back to them every so often to gauge my progress. Each time I come back, I'll always find something much easier than before. For instance, I was having a little bash at 25-3 today, one that I thought was very difficult before. But now I can manage the first few bars pretty well.

So yeah, just because you may not be able to learn these pieces and play them well as a beginner, there is no reason you should start them. Iv heard it said many times that these pieces are the key (technically) to playing Chopin's music. So for anyone wishing to play Chopin (of any level), Id say its essential to be family with them!

In that light, I think that the original poster is doing absolutely the right thing. He / she obviously isnt playing at full speed yet, but I dont think that is so important right now. What is important is that they are getting up and running, familiarising themselves with these works and the technical requirements of Chopin's music.

Bravo!

Keep at it and Im sure you will be rewarded.

As, keep in mind that the preludes are the perfect entry into the etudes. For instance, I always think that 28-3 is the perfect pre piece for 10-12.

SJ
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert