Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Gyorgy Catoire, Op. 12, 'Etude Fantastique'  (Read 4292 times)

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Gyorgy Catoire, Op. 12, 'Etude Fantastique'
on: February 24, 2007, 03:20:29 AM
1.30.07:

koji
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Re: Gyorgy Catoire, Op. 12, 'Etude Fantastique'
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 12:14:12 PM
  Sounded fantastic, i've noticed you play a lot better to an audince than you do in the comfort of a practice room, which is the right way-round.
  You know i think you have climbed mount Everest ,musically speaking.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline dabbler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 03:12:59 PM
  You know i think you have climbed mount Everest ,musically speaking.

I can only agree. And what a gorgeous piece!! For me, it's nice to get to know some less obvious gems of the piano literature in such wonderful interpretations. Thanks for sharing.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 12:27:10 AM
Hi koji,

The Neo-Romantic era is my favorite.  This etude combines the left hand of Scriabin with the shifting tonalities of Faure--a synthesis of the Russian and French idioms.  This is both a fabulous piece and performance!  Congrats!!

David
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 09:23:22 AM
thanks for explaining that so precisely, rachfan.  it's hard to 'place' when you're unfamiliar with the composer.  it's also nice to have such an internalized interpretation.  it's as thought the piece is a part of yourself.  you have a lot of purpose.  to rephrase zheer, is there anything you can't play?  i don't think so!  and, you do so much more than just play.  you really do interpret and perform well.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 09:14:43 PM
This is such a great piece, and koji does such a wonderful job on voicing the melody and tending to the voice leading against all the filligree, that I can't stop listening to it!!  Until koji posted here, I was unfamiliar with both Bortkiewicz and Catoire.  The piano repertoire is so very, very vast.  At my age, when I hear something new and exciting in the neo-romantic style like this, I'm absolutely thrilled.  Koji has done a wonderful service for these composers in giving such fine performances of their works.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 07:49:08 PM
excellent! like a more personal version of hamelin's performance. Really fantastique! Love the way you make it so much your own. It is incredible that you can manage to get the dynamics out of it so wonderfully - i've always thought it would be extremely difficult in this piece.
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 01:06:19 PM
another thing - do you have any idea where I can buy an actual physical copy of the sheet music? i have scans but love it so much i want the real thing - it doesn't seem readily available!
much like antheil's jazz sonata...
Thanks,
tom
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 02:07:44 PM
 I'm afraid my copy was off of a scan, as well--you might try inquiring at IPAM, if anyone would have the score, they probably would.  I'm glad you enjoy his music as much as I--certainly Marc-Andre did a wonderful service to the composer and pianists in general for releasing that CD of his music!

koji
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 04:55:50 AM
My first hearing of this composer, good stuff; late romantic pathos with some cool pseudo-impressionistic harmonies beautifuly laid out a la Liapunov. Would like to hear more.

And your playing; masterful.  8)
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 08:49:11 AM
I'm very very sorry for bumping this thread but I felt a need to complement the bright section near the end and pleased to know that this etude has not been forgotten.

JL
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 10:31:27 AM
I don't think it's a bad thing to bump good recordings.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 01:18:38 AM
It's always a great pleasure to listen to this recording.

David

Offline arielpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 08:00:34 PM
Exquisite, and sooooooooo much better than MAH.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 01:44:57 AM
Hi ariel,

Thanks for using you-know-who's initials and not mine as I've also recorded it, although koji's recording here has mine beat by a country mile at least.  I appreciate that! ;D

David

Offline arielpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 06:58:59 AM
Hi David,
I was never a you-know-who fan (I'm probably in a minority). Have you posted your recording? Anyway, Koji has everybody beat by a landslide.
Ariel

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 07:01:40 PM
Hi ariel,

Yes, sure.  Here is the link.  Suggest you click on the second player option or download as the sound is a bit better.  Link:

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=37224.0.html
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert