Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Two improvisations: January 27th Parts 3 & 4  (Read 3365 times)

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Two improvisations: January 27th Parts 3 & 4
on: February 27, 2007, 03:49:21 AM
Here are two improvisations I recorded nearly a month ago on my Petrof Model III Grand. I didn't like them initially..now I do. See what you think. Enjoy!

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Two improvisations: January 27th Parts 3 & 4
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 11:19:54 PM
Yeah, sometimes we like the things we made up only after a certain time :) And often these are the best ones. Others though we like the day we played them and after 4 weeks we think omg why did I ever like that one?? And here it's the former and they are very good actually. In the first one I like the dark and mysterious atmosphere in the beginning and the constant cumulation throughout the piece. It's cool how you lay the arpeggios down like a carpet ;D and the melodies can walk majestically on them.
The second one to me seems have come out of a very open approach, and so it is very interesting to listen to! I guess this was very spontaneous and without a prepared idea? Anyway I like it very much. :)

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 03:53:20 AM
Hey thanks Pianowolfi. I never improvise with a preconceived idea. Sometimes I sit down and I have some sort of notion to start with some figure or other, but everything else builds from there. Thanks for the comments. Carpets eh? haha. I love arpeggio carpets. :)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 03:48:18 AM
Wow! these are very cool  ;D

The first one seems to organically grow out of the introductory motif.  All through out it seems like you were constantly molding something out of the beginning themes.  Bass note at 2:30 sounded cool. 

The second one feels dark, filled with inner despair.

Both of them have a very strong sense of coherent compositional unity.   
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline bachapprentice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 08:27:43 PM
Very nice.  What kind of Piano are you using?

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 12:16:41 AM
Here are two improvisations I recorded nearly a month ago on my Petrof Model III Grand. I didn't like them initially..now I do. See what you think. Enjoy!

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert