Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: John William Burrows - composer/pianist  (Read 2402 times)

Offline clare burrows

• PS Silver Member
John William Burrows - composer/pianist
on: March 03, 2007, 05:35:46 AM
Hello,

My ex -- yes, we are friends -- husband plays quite well and performs his own works.  Since it was stated here that, finally, composers that are living could have their works auditioned here...here we go.

He was a graduate of SUNY Postdam and was the Senior Recital Award winner many many years ago.  I love his waltzes and danced each of our babies around the living room while he would play for them on our Steinway. 

He just gave me permission to put this up: a 45-second section from his Romance and Waltz in C# minor.

He has a web site:  http;//www.johnburrows.com

News:  His 'Opus One' album is at CD Baby and has 2 minute samples you can listen to.

https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jwburrows2

It is currently is the top picks list for classical piano.

I am also interested in knowing if having his score available -- for the piano sonata (influenced by Clementi) -- would be of interest to anyone?

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: John William Burrows - composer/pianist
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 05:57:35 AM
enjoyable listening!  did he compose this specifically for you?  it's really nice in any case. 

if i were to make any suggestion - it would be to not do too much of the same thing twice.  i liked the huge run at the beginning because it 'led into' the piece.  but, if repeated too much - it seems like a 'ploy' to classically trained pianists (abeit not so much of one to jazz pianists).  we like to hear other variations such as dynamics etc (which he does have - and i'm not bashing!).

my favorite part is where he 'turns' the melody towards the end - into another section.  very beautifully done!  this is what musicians look for.  the interesting turns of harmony and the avoidance of anything 'cliche.'

i know a 'burrows' from alaska.  are you a classically trained singer? as well as pianist.

Offline clare burrows

• PS Silver Member
Re: John William Burrows - composer/pianist
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 07:40:53 AM
Hello,

John wrote the majority of his works before we ever met. In 1985 he released 'Refelctions' which was added to the Library of Congress collection.

The run is a lead-in into the waltz from the main theme -- the piece is pretty much ABA.

I am a trained singer and sang with San Francisco Symphony Chorus and Oakland Symphony Chorus, as well. 

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert