Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: 2 Tonal improvisations  (Read 3413 times)

Offline reaper978

• PS Silver Member
2 Tonal improvisations
on: March 12, 2007, 06:19:41 PM
I've been experimenting with a more tonal sound these days, but the chromaticism is still a bit harsh.

-Colin

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: 2 Tonal improvisations
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 03:22:56 AM
Hi Colin, thanks for posting these.

The first one sounds like you were playing a lot with gestures.  Using various pianistic techniques to create different moods or colours.  The second one sounds atmospheric with flowing lines. 

You say your chormaticism is a bit harsh.  Maybe try looking for counterpoint within your harmony.  In the same way a G7 chord resolves to a C, you can still have the same tension and resolution exist within more chormatic and complex harmonic structures.  See which chords tend to move forward, and which ones feel like a resting place. 

I thought the ending to the second rec was interesting.  It sounds like a penultimate chord and I though you were going to resolve it, but you instead ended there. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 08:29:34 PM
Hi Reaper, I haven't been on the site for a while. This improv has now been added to the list. Thanks!

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 02:10:44 PM
In the same way a G7 chord resolves to a C, you can still have the same tension and resolution exist within more chormatic and complex harmonic structures.  See which chords tend to move forward, and which ones feel like a resting place. 

I've always felt this way. From the very beginning of my improv hobby. I think someone should write a new treatise on music theory which talks about it in more general terms like that, so we don't have all of these "musical commandments" about dominant fifths and what not that make improv/composition/music in general seem inaccessible to normal people. I do use the traditional stuff as well as the non traditional now, just due to knowing so many scales and chords, but I'd never think of ONLY using one or the other.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert