Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Bach Prelude and Fugue in A, WTC I  (Read 5423 times)

Offline cygnusdei

• PS Silver Member
Bach Prelude and Fugue in A, WTC I
on: March 19, 2007, 06:59:19 AM
Presenting ... my ghetto rendition of the BWV 864. Please excuse the picking of the nose after the Prelude.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach Prelude and Fugue in A, WTC I
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 03:39:48 PM
oops.  i accidently watched 'creepy german kid losing it.' which video is yours?

Offline cygnusdei

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 12:55:27 AM
Sorry for the mix-up. I had the video as 'private' - it is 'public' now.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 01:21:38 AM
Hi cygnusdei,

Excellent!  You play this with fine clarity of articulation and voicing of lines, using differentiated touch, showing good fluidity and rhythmic precision, while exercising good taste in pedaling suitable to Baroque music.  You also blend all the ornamentation in very well.  Super.

I was curious about the piano, but could not decide from the video.  Can you shed light on that too?  Thanks.

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 08:19:04 AM
dear cygnusdei,  i can't help but want to use your playing as a good example for that thread about curved vs. naturally curved (flatter) hands.  i consider personally your hand position very advantageous to sound - and the sound which you are getting is really very good.  especially like your bass above many others - because there is no 'pounding' to it.  it's really in good taste.  and, wow, you have good dexterity.

now, question really - for you - do you find the only thing about flatter hands is that when you come to a trill - it's really more advantageous to use more curved fingers at that point only?  the reason is - when you trill between a long finger and short - there is a discrepancy of eveness that isn't there when you make them both the same length by curved fingers.

Offline cygnusdei

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 06:18:55 PM
Thank you rachfan and pianistimo for the kind words and encouragement. That was a grand piano completely closed, in a practice room. As for the hand position - that's interesting because it's not a conscious process for me. For trills though, I can see that with curved position your fingers are posed to strike from the top (perpendicular to the keys).
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert