Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Panta Rhei  (Read 2435 times)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Panta Rhei
on: March 25, 2007, 08:15:48 PM
Panta Rhei is ancient Greek and means "Everything flows, nothing stands still" This is a composition with the working title "Clash". I have combined it out of several improvisations from Dec. 30th 2006 to Jan. 6th 2007 and it will be a main part of my concert program that consists of my own compositions. I will hopefully be able to perform all this in May. The concept of this particular piece is to put together all the main themes that appear in this program . They come actually together but there is a lot of tension between them. This will be resolved later in the program. 1. Da nobis pacem (a theme which I composed about 2 years ago), 2. "Dies Irae" the Gregorian sequence which has inspired many composers already, 3. My main theme currently: e-a-b-a which I variate and develop in many different ways in this piece, first of all in the middle part that starts around 4.18 in the recording and which I call "Elegy". This theme is also the theme of "Sympathy " and "Sympathy 2" which I posted before on this board and which are also part of this program. 4. like out of nowhere a new element (c-a-d-a-b) appears at 3.36 which does not appear before in the program but fits very well together with "Dies Irae" and gets involved in the whole struggle ;D
 Well I can't yet post a perfect recording. Anyway. What is perfect???  Recently someone wrote on this forum " Why put something on the internet if it's not perfect?" And I had a bad feeling about this because I know too well that nothing I have posted is perfect yet. Does it actually matter? To me it matters if it's music or not. And as I am  planning to make a CD I understand all this as work in progress anyway. Panta Rhei. Everything flows :) So have fun listening and I hope you will like it  :)

P.S If somebody wonders: Yes I quoted 5 bars from m1469's "Inner circle" because I like that one very much and because it has influenced me sometimes a bit :)

Offline dabbler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Panta Rhei
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 08:36:27 PM
Very interesting - just finished listening. Thoroughly personal and emotional. Regarding "perfection" - I think it's actually very interesting to listen to work in progress, to see people and their playing developing. The concept of your concert sounds thrilling! I'll move to Basel by the end of April - if the recital is not to far away, plz let me now when/where, and reserve a ticket for me  :)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 09:34:39 PM
Very interesting - just finished listening. Thoroughly personal and emotional. Regarding "perfection" - I think it's actually very interesting to listen to work in progress, to see people and their playing developing. The concept of your concert sounds thrilling! I'll move to Basel by the end of April - if the recital is not to far away, plz let me now when/where, and reserve a ticket for me  :)

Wow this is really cool. You move to Basel? Yeah all this is very personal and emotional and the whole concept of this program is too. And thrilling is it actually too. It is existential somehow lol  ;D But I hope It will eventually be at the same time very in general and listenable as a whole thing. I use many different styles, from classical over Ragtime up to Pop and some elements of atonality.
Well there would be a lot to say about this. My working title is "Styx. A musical Journey" And I plan to play in Basel at the Schmiedenhof, Rümelinsplatz 4 on a Fazioli Grand ;D But as I am not yet done with all the writing and practising I better don't tell you a day and time yet because this all is a LOT of work. I have a prospective time at the end of May. I just know that I want to do it as soon as possible for many reasons...

Offline dabbler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 09:44:34 PM
Cool! I can imagine how much work that is. But once you have it all together, it will be very rewarding to look back on what you've accomplished! Post a note here when you're ready to play! look forward to meeting some other pianogeeks in Basel  :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert