Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Yamaha S6  (Read 7836 times)

Offline electrodoc

• PS Silver Member
Yamaha S6
on: April 16, 2007, 12:17:21 AM
Hi everyone.

I was recently lucky enough to be able to purchase a new Yamaha S6. Many comments on these boards suggest that the Yamaha sound is over-bright. Whilst this may be true of some of the "C" series I do not think that it applies to the "S" series. When compared to Steinway, Bosendorfer, etc., this is a very good instrument for the money. (For US readers the cost of the S6 in the UK is about one half of a Steinway B.)

Anyway, I thought that I would post this as an example of the S6 sound. When reading about all of the wonderful instruments that readers either have themselves, or have tried in various other locations I always want to hear what they sound like rather than what they look like.

Sorry if there is a glitch or two in the recording - it was done in a hurry; one take only!

Mics: Pair of Studio Project B2
Recorded to Zoom H4

All comments welcome.
best wishes to all.

Electrodoc

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Re: Yamaha S6
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 02:55:20 AM
[listening to sound sample right now]

I was recently in the market for a new piano and went for a Kawai RX-3. In the process, I also considered Yamaha C3 among others. When I played on it, I found myself wanting a brighter and bigger sound (and thus subsequently tried the C5 and C6 next to it).

Mind you, they were brand new. Most/all C-series Yamahas I've played on that have been used overtime have bright sound (almost in the unrefined sense).

I am yet to sample a current S-series Yamaha (I've played the S400 and it exhibits the abovementioned property) but after reading about it, I think they should be very impressive instruments!

[listened to sound sample now!]

I personally think this piano will turn bright overtime, depending on how you use (and maintain) it. I guess only time will reveal this.

That said, the sound in this recording is wonderful. Congrats on your purchase!

Offline electrodoc

• PS Silver Member
Re: Yamaha S6
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 12:39:14 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Yes, most Ymahas that I have tried were too bright but I do not think that the S series will get too bright over time. Anyway, if it does start to brighten then I will have it revoiced. At the moment it sounds just about right for me. As I have said, I am very lucky in that my tuner/technician lives only about a mile away and is happy to come in at any time. Luckily, he knows what he is doing and we will both keep a close watch on it.
Will keep you posted.

Electrodoc

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert