Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Bach - Gigue from English Suite in E minor  (Read 9118 times)

Offline davidz

• PS Silver Member
Bach - Gigue from English Suite in E minor
on: April 22, 2007, 08:29:10 PM

Hello all,

Here is another track from last month's session.  Comments are welcome.

Regards,
David Z.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach - Gigue from English Suite in E minor
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 12:07:26 AM
this is a good example of playing something orchestrally.  i enjoyed it.  at first i thought you  were slightly panicking - but then i realized it was an impetus you were putting to it - as your playing is really solid.

for myself, i like to play these suites as though they were actually danced to - and therefore, no real speeding up.  but, i suppose that can get boring.  i like your attention to the various 'lines.'  i hear them throughout and it's really GREAT!

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 01:15:16 PM
very respectful performance. You play Bach very well. The voices are very clear, and you can articulate the diferent lines very well. I like the non legato, it´s very precise. You  also created interesting dinamics, wich enriches a lot the piece. I like a lot the sound of your piano, and the recording it self was very good. Let´me ask if you memorized this piece, or sight read it? I´m asking because it´s very dificult to me o play Bach´s music by heart, diferent than Chopin, or Schubert.

Anyway, a great performance. Looking forward for more stuff.

Offline davidz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 11:13:16 PM
Thanks to both of you for your comments.  Yes, I do have the piece by heart-- I seem to have a pretty good memory for music even when life's other details elude me.  Pianistimo, you seemed to be implying that the tempo varied throughout the track?  It wouldn't surprise me, but I would be interested to know where the speed-ups/slowdowns happened.

Regards,
David Z.

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 09:48:30 PM
i liked the recording and also the fine quality of it. May I know on whhich piano u recorded and how you did that xD? my first impression of  this recording is that you have really lots of talent when it comes to polyphonic playing. the different  voices are very clear to me - everything being in complete order
"We can never know what to want, because, living only one life, we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come."

Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Offline davidz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 11:00:55 AM

Thanks, ganymed.  It's a Charles Walter grand piano.  I don't understand "how you did that xD", please clarify.

Regards,
David Z.

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 11:17:51 AM
i thought maybe you use a digital and did it with a computer .
since you played on a grand , which equipments did you use for recording ?
"We can never know what to want, because, living only one life, we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come."

Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Offline davidz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 11:34:06 AM
Ganymed,

The software we use is Digital Performer on the Mac.  I'm not too familiar with the other details of mike type, etc. (my recording engineer friend mostly handles this stuff).  But if you have more specific questions, I can try to find out for you.

Regards,
David Z.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert