Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Gershwin - Rhapsody in blue for piano solo  (Read 7102 times)

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Gershwin - Rhapsody in blue for piano solo
on: April 23, 2007, 05:58:07 AM
Tried to record this piece.
Any comments are most welcome

Best Regards,
Faj

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Re: Gershwin - Rhapsody in blue for piano solo
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 03:42:08 PM
Gosh! wonderfull job one this one. This is a tough piece to tackle, Really a huge efort. I don´t know the score in detail, but I can say, most of the piece flows very well to my ears. There are a very few moments where I thought it lack a little bit of clarity, But this are a just a minor aspect, comparing with the qualit of the overall. Great Recording! thatks a lot for sharing this. btw, you got a powerfull repertoire! I wish I could be like you some day!  ;D

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 03:34:08 AM
Piano121,  Thanks a lot for your kind comments.
I’m sure you can have great repertoire . Your 90/2 proved that you have ability to make real your will.

Reg this recording, I cut (skip) the “meno moso e poco scherzando” section in the middle after the main theme as it’s written in the score (cut may be made) because I feel a little bit boring when include this section and lessen the impressiveness of  middle main theme (big chord).
But In slow theme I didn’t skip the cut-able section  cos I want to bring out slow theme longer.

Wanna hear comments/ knowlegde from other about this cut-able section.

Once again, thanks so much to piano121 to give time to hear my recording

Best Regards,
Faj

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 08:53:18 AM
Thank you for posting your interesting interpretation. The piece is a very old favourite of mine and is always a joy to listen to and play. It is a rhapsody, after all, and the solo version offers great scope for legitimate personal variation in ideas.

I think it would benefit from less pedal (except with the big theme of course - that needs it) and a touch much closer to that of staccato rather than legato. Gershwin himself stated that his music in general required a detached touch entirely different from romantic legato. You don't play it too fast, which is a pleasant change from some ninety-miles-an-hour recordings I have heard. I think the section immediately after the big glissando needs work. The only way I can ever play that part, which took me ages to get right, is by imparting what amounts to a strong rumba rhythm in the cross-over figures up in the top. That is to say, accent the left hand
1 - - 1 - - 1 -      where the 1 is what the left hand does. My teacher, who often played it in public and with whom I studied this piece many years ago, gave me that tip. Unfortunately Gershwin's own rendition on piano roll is no guide for this bit because extra notes have been cut in the roll.

The other thing which my teacher used to emphasise was the need, at all costs, to avoid making those reverse basses in threes - quaver chord at the top and crotchet fifth at the bottom - sound like Gilbert and Sullivan.  If they do, then the whole thrust of the rhythm disappears and it becomes a sort of waltz or 6/8. It's hard to explain what I mean but would be easy to demonstrate.

I like your opening, again because it is unhurried and very clear. I like your interpretation of the staccato "railroad" section,  all too often turned into a mad rush which loses the rhythm. Thank you for posting your playing of a wonderful piece which cannot have too many interpretations.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 04:48:53 AM
Hi Ted,
You are welcome, and thanks so much for your comment and great advices.

Section after gliss, I was too nervous avoiding miss note in the bass which is main line that I think should be well kept. It’s difficult to achieve 100 % success possibility there due to fast huge jump and easily loosing rhythm
I heard/ saw recording with upper sequence removed in this section .What do you think?
Or if only some one gives hand to press the main line in the bass (or orchestra for instance) then it would be easier to execute that upper sequence  ;D

Once again, thanks a lot, Ted

Best Regards,
Faj

Offline mycrabface

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 03:10:26 AM
Quite well-played, but I would have preferred it to be more free and easy (more draggy) at the slow parts, and you could make a sudden decresendo and then gradually cres at the running notes when you run up. At some parts I think you can 'swing' more. And this one I can't quite describe - Bang, but don't BANG.
La Campanella Freak

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 09:59:38 PM
Very nice!  KUDOS to you for a major accomplishment!

I have a couple of suggestions, but please keep in mind it's just an idea, and I wish I could play the thing at all.  (I have the score but always give up on it.  :-\)

I like your intro, and the slower parts--very lyrical.  I do agree you could "bang" it out more in those bangy areas rather than making it too "classical" sounding. 

I would like to hear more rhythmic emphasis, more pronounced syncopation, more more more in all the jazzy parts--sometimes it sounds a little studied, like you are thinking "2 against 3" etc. 

The hardest thing in the world is playing such a difficult work with freedom and abandon, but that's what this piece needs.  If you keep working on it until you reach that "flow" state, you will be truly amazing. 

Have fun!
Teresa

Offline electrodoc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 12:38:23 AM
Well, you have inspired me to dig out the score and play around with it. Do you really have 10 fingers on each hand?!

Offline mycrabface

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 06:29:17 AM
Well, you have inspired me to dig out the score and play around with it. Do you really have 10 fingers on each hand?!
Can you tell me when you've found the score? Because all I can find is for a piano duet, with full orchestra score included. I'm looking for a solo, without orch, if there's such a thing.
La Campanella Freak

Offline electrodoc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 11:24:07 PM
The solo piano version can be found in:

Music by Gershwin; Pub. byThe University Society Inc.
                 ISBN 0 87824-125-6

Alternatively search Google with "Rhapsody in Blue" + "solo piano"

Do use the inverted commas.

Hope you find it.

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 12:51:19 AM
Thanks so much for all your comment, advice etc. I'm so happy knowing some one somewhere hear this
I Agree to play this with more ease, free, and more to jazz than to classical. Thanks, Teresa ..
I think still need more time to improve. Even this recording is far from perfect, but I think this is one of my lucky shoot haha ...

Electrodoc,  …  :D .. Well I only have 5 fingers in each hand and my hand is small. That's why playing piano is very difficult for me ... :(

Mycrabface, I f you don't mind, you can tell me your email for the solo piano version.

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 04:35:19 AM
mycrabface, just realize your PM,  I already sent you the link of the score (free). Psc check.

Regards,
Faj
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert