Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: A modern folk-dance improvisation from April  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
A modern folk-dance improvisation from April
on: May 14, 2007, 10:07:40 PM
Should have posted this one in the "two improvisations from April" post, oh well!  Enjoy  :)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: A modern folk-dance improvisation from April
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 10:32:28 PM
Wow this is very original! Funny and cheering :) Interesting rhythmic patterns. Very cool :)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 12:03:15 AM
Very energetic.  I liked the the different rhythmic twists that were thrown in.  I also heard some motifs that you used in past improvs, but you got them to fit in well with this one too. 

;D
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 12:55:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback! You have an amazing memory...I didn't know I reused something (though I'm sure I do all the time). Oh well, I'm accustomed to music that uses familiar elements, I grew up hearing my father improvise boogie woogie every evening for all of my childhood. *edit* I bet you meant that middle part before the dark stuff. Yeah...I do stuff like that a lot  ;D

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 05:47:31 AM
Almost pure, laid-back postmistress cells without the neurosis and polytonality. She's having a good day. No bothersome customers. (private joke here for Derek)

I'm always a sucker for augmenteds, as at 2:00. Perhaps I had better pass on to other cell types; I think you've overtaken me on this one. Very good indeed.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 06:50:13 PM
 :D thanks again Ted. Do you like augmenTED chords because of their name?

Offline johnny-boy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 09:16:49 PM
Great work Derek!!!

Best, John
Stop analyzing; just compose the damn thing!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert