Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: "Dark Light" -- Improv  (Read 3245 times)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
"Dark Light" -- Improv
on: May 21, 2007, 04:42:24 AM
Well, I think I am starting to use this forum to push me toward growth ... so be it.  I guess it's a phase.  One day I will look back at this improv and cringe, just like I do with all my text-posts from a couple of years ago -- can't even stand to read them. 

Anyway, here is another improv.  I don't always feel like I have "time" to let myself focus on improv, though I love it, and so this happens to be a time when I am letting myself focus on it -- soon, it will have to go bye bye for awhile (I think), so I better get it out now.

I don't feel like saying much about this one either, except for that it starts a lot differently than it ends (well, something like that anyway   :)) -- so maybe don't just write it off.  This is probably the "darkest" one I have ever done... hope it's not TOO dark.  This one is under 5 minutes (at least after having cut the tail a bit  ;D ). 

Thanks for listening !  I hope, afterall, that it's not too uncomfortable ;D ;).
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: "Dark Light" -- Improv
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 06:53:00 AM
Thank you m1469, this is really cool, everyday there is something new from you to listen to when I come here in the morning. Keep it up! :)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 07:27:54 AM
I like how it starts out sparse then gradually grows in density.  You have a good feel for the piano's sonority.  With each new improv you post, I hear you exploring all this new territory.  Good on you for this. ;D
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 09:34:26 PM
I like a lot of the chord changes in this one. You're becoming very harmonically adventurous!

Offline the coker variations

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 01:32:50 PM
very cool, the stuff ive heard from you so far seems very dark and ambient, as if its for a horror movie of some sort

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 08:11:20 PM
Thanks very much, you guys.  Yeah, I guess I am experimenting a bit lately.  Oh well, people will just have to cope  ;D

as if its for a horror movie of some sort

Maybe it is  :o
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline johnny-boy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 08:29:16 PM
Hey m1469,

You ought to submit this to a music film library. This would make a great music bed for a Hitchcock type  film.

Best, John  ;)
Stop analyzing; just compose the damn thing!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert