Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Who are the most famous teachers of OUR time? (in the U.S.)  (Read 6763 times)

Offline jamie0168

• PS Silver Member
If you were off to graduate school for the first time and you knew all that mattered was to find the best teacher that anyone had heard of (I know that's not how it is normally, but stay with me here.) Who would you go for? (remember: just the U.S.)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
first of all graduate school is a complete and utter waste of money.  jumping through hoops to get into a larger circle.  just find a student of a teacher and be done with it.  it makes your life more exciting.  to have time to practice and go to the library and read whatever you want to.  and, you dont' have to write a stupid thesis.  although - i'd like to write several stupid thesis's.  the thing is - people don't realize - to write a good one - you'd need to start researching it about age 16.  otherwis e- you're just saying what someone else said 5 years ago.  it's really boring.  what graduate school is trying to do is force you into five holes at the same time.  practice, study, research, invent, teach/perform   - and when do you sleep?  sleep is very important to me.  either you go and research something in the country of origin - and spend about 20 years doing it or you practice 24/7 and become a really great pianist.  but, to split up your time?  only a few people can do this.  and not sleep.  and, what about your finances when you get out?  how do you know you'll make it to the concert stage.

go and get a master's degree in whatever other occupation - and then come back and study music in your leisure.  just taking your time and doing whatever you want.

ok.  nevermind i said all the above.  west chester university is the place.  most of the teachers graduated from julliard - and yet the school is small and not that terribly bad tuition wise.  it's just that - if you're not wanting to spend money - just taking lessons might be the idea.  dr cranmer and dr veleta are exceptionally good, imo. 

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Nelita True (eastman)
Yong Hi Moon (nec)
John Kamura Parker (rice)
Sergei Babayan (cim)
Vedda Kaplinski (juilliard)
John Perry (colburn)
Leon Fleisher (peabody)
Emanual Ax (juilliard)
Richard Goode (yale)
Russel Sherman (nec)
Menahem Pressler (IU)
Jerome Lowenthal (juilliard)

That said, pianistimo is right about every last thing she said.  Read her post carefully-- I regret going to grad school so much I can hardly get out of bed in the morning.

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
That's a good list.  I would add Sequeira Costa and Grant Nabore, perhaps Ivan Davis as well.  Gary Graffman for sure.  Alex Feltsman too.

Although, do you know who Andre Watts and Arnaldo Cohen are?  Both at Indiana.  And where is James Tocco these days? He used to be at IU too.

Not that I am partial.  Graduate school in piano performance was not a waste for me at all, just a stage of development.  I am a better pianist for it.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline cherub_rocker1979

• PS Silver Member
John Salmon - The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Sedmara Rutstein - Oberlin College

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Emilio del Rosario trains a lot of young competition winners...

Offline verywellmister

• PS Silver Member
Stanislav Ioudenitch (Park) maybe?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

i thought i heard my washing machine playing Ondine

Offline semidead

• PS Silver Member

Offline semidead

• PS Silver Member
For some reason I posted that on the completely wrong topic.
Sorry!

Offline csy

• PS Silver Member
I don't think Richard Goode is at Yale now.

quote author=thalberg link=topic=25124.msg283070#msg283070 date=1180035265]
Nelita True (eastman)
Yong Hi Moon (nec)
John Kamura Parker (rice)
Sergei Babayan (cim)
Vedda Kaplinski (juilliard)
John Perry (colburn)
Leon Fleisher (peabody)
Emanual Ax (juilliard)
Richard Goode (yale)
Russel Sherman (nec)
Menahem Pressler (IU)
Jerome Lowenthal (juilliard)

That said, pianistimo is right about every last thing she said.  Read her post carefully-- I regret going to grad school so much I can hardly get out of bed in the morning.

Offline hughsung

• PS Silver Member
Re: Who are the most famous teachers of OUR time? (in the U.S.)
Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 01:26:07 PM
awww...and i thought that my little cheats made me qualified to be on this "famous teachers" list ;)

Guess cheaters don't prosper after all (though Jorge Bolet would've disagreed vehemently!  He loved to come up with all sorts of neat tricks and cheats to get around nasty passages!)

Cheers!

Hugh Sung
www.HughSung.com
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert